Perfect Disk 7

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Ptah, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Greetings FD users, I have just begun trialing FD and would also like to trial PD. What are the correct settings if any that will not harm FD or the Motherboard.

Second questions is PD the only defrager you can safely use w/ FD?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I believe, but am not positive, that you can safely use any defragger with FD. As far as PD goes, since they are both made by the same company, they are perfectly compatible with each other, you do not need to use any special settings or exclusions.

Acadia

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am not sure that every defragger is safe with FD. I could be wrong, but I think that I read something in the Wilders forum that indicated that some defraggers can move the FD files in a way that causes problems. I'm not an expert in this area and I'm sure someone that knows will clarify this.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is my feeling too and it's logical too, because defraggers MOVE data on a harddisk. ShadowUser's manual has also recommendations for using defraggers.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. ErikAlbert

That is why I'm going to separate winXPproSP2 from my personal files (on two physical harddisks).
    That is why my system image backup will be created in a different way, than my system partition.
    That's why my very first snapshot will be based on my system image backup and not on my system partition, the other snapshots aren't that important.

My system partition doesn't need much defragging, my personal partition needs defragging, because that partition changes all the time.

7. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

So basically it sounds like from reading the above provided link that PD is the best choice and probably the only choice for FD users. Can anyone confirm usage w/ both and if they had any problems?

Thanks,

Ptah

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

The BEST choice ? Certainly, for everbody, IMO.

The ONLY choice for FDISR users? No, not if the defrag program can be set to exlcude $ISR.BIN from being moved.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Oh Boy. Yes I do use Perfect Disk, but I bought it before I had First Defense. I think you probably can use any good defragger. At a minimum you can exclude the file $isr.bin. Installing FDISR when you have Perfect Disk installed it will do this for you.

If memory serves me right, though, from discussions with Raxco techsupport if the file $isr.bin is moved, the first boot will indeed not be able to find it and thus you won't see the preboot screen. But once booted the program will reset and identify where the file is located, and on subsequent reboots all will be well.

10. ErikAlbert

Well Ronjor's link mentions it clearly.
    The latest version of PerfectDisk is the one that doesn't move "$ISR.BIN".
    So PerfectDisk is the one, you need.
    If you use another defragger, you have to contact the manufacturer for assistance with excluding $ISR.BIN from being "moved" during a boot time defrag.

My personal approach : I will avoid defragging my system partition.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, I guess that I must stand corrected, folks. PD is probably that best if you have FD. ;)

Acadia

12. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your help, I just downloaded the trial and will give it a spin after the trial of FD-ISR.

Aloha,

Ptah

13. WWS

WWS Registered Member

You can include or exclude with PD.

Attached Files:

• isr.jpg
      isr.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Peter2150

Yes Ronjor's link mentions it clearly, but as I said a lot of that hasn't been updated. The website also says FDISR won't work with KAV 5.0, and that is only partially correct, as I have done it.

I will reconfirm with techsupport what I was told, and if correct than it doesn't matter what defragger you use.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

16. Peter2150

17. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi, I had First Defense installed first and then went from Executive Software Defragger which as I reached the 10th month of use I found the HD needed more defragging more frequently and it really annoyed me as I know that it is not good to be defragging frequently.

Perfect Disk I have had for over a year and it is simply a fantastic proggy. Entirely different from Executive Software and I don't have to defrag that often and the computer runs well. Before with Executive as time went on I would know when I needed to do a Defrag.

On this topic, I honestly have done not a thing to Perfect Disk or First Defense and have had no problems.
    Now I am wondering what this is all about.
    The computer is humming along fine.
    Regards

18. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Not to derail this thread, but what about Diskeeper? It seems like an outstanding defragger. Personally, I use PD and do so primarily because I love FDISR. My thinking goes like this. FD is one of the best programs and I won't do without it. I need a defragger and I've heard that some can conflict with FDISR. If anything is going to be compatible with FDISR, wouldn't it be PD since they are made by the same company?

That being said, I've often thought about Diskeeper, especially considering that they have released version 10. Some of the features in version 10 are intriguing, to say the least. Diskeeper continues to be rated as one of the best (usually the best).

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, PD is deliberately made to be compatible with FD, at least in its later versions. This is mentioned in the FD faq or Knowledgebase.

Acadia

20. Peter2150

I don't see any reason one couldn't use Diskkeeper.

1) I am sure in diskkeeper you can exclude a file(at least I would hope so), so you simply exclude $isr.bin

2) As I said I am not sure it matters any more. I will confirm this tomorrow.

Pete

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

22. Peter2150

Those links do cover the subject, and I talked with Raxco and they confirmed.

To restate. Ideally $isr.bin should be excluded from defrag, and PD does it automatically. BUT, it is moved the only effect will be not seeing a preboot on the next boot. Then the file is relocated, and other boot will again show the preboot screen. QED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.