Peerguardian or hostsman?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Peerguardian and hostsman are for the same thing? are complementary or do the same? which are the differences?
    If the are complementary how can i use peerguardian as hostsman?

Thanks

I found the diference
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
    Them if i add the spyware list and the trojan list to peerguadian will be the same?

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

They are not necisarily the same thing. They are both used to block IPs, but PeerGuardian is intended to block education IPs, government IPs, ect. That is used by P2P users. Hostman is a product, not a list. It uses various lists, MVPS host, HPhost, and ad blocking lists. Those lists are intended for malware (and ad blocking). It is not meant for P2P use.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

You asked the question, and I answered you. PeerGuardian is intended for P2P users. Hostman (MVPS or HP) is not.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hostsman is an application for managing the hosts file (if present).
    Entries on the hostsfile can be manually input, and/or (more commonly) created by an organisation such as the MVPS linked above.
    An attempt to connect to the internet will, in simple terms, go via the hosts file to the DNS. If present on the hosts file, it will pretty much stop there, and no connection is possible.
    Peerguardian acts more like a firewall.
    To know if the lists are similar/overlapping or quite dissimilar, you'd have to look at and compare them. Big job.
    Similar type of end result, totally different application, different motivations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.