PE + no more internet

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by dark2_07, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark2_07

dark2_07 Registered Member

after i have installed PE on my other computer my NIC says that it has limited or no internet activity. so i was wondering if anyone knows why this has happened. if there is any info i can get for you to help me just let me know what you may need.

this happened yesterday after i was tring to find a port watching program. when i came opan this program and installed it. after restarting my internet just completely stoped working. so i uninstalled the program, but that didnt resolve my issue. so i tried to roll back to a restore point which didnt help.

firewall Kerio Personal Firewall 4.1.3
    mcafee anti virus 7.0(in the process of getting a newer and better VS)

if someone can please help me, i would be very happy individual :D

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello dark2 and welcome, Can you please tell us what operating system you are using?

Did you disable your security programs during the PE install & reboot?

You may also need to run LSP fix available from here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

There are known problems with MaCfee firewall but not with their AV as far as I know. In Kerio 4 have you given PE the necessary permissions?

More questions than answers ATM :)

Thanks. Pilli

3. dark2_07

thanks for the reply pilli i think i have given the proper access in kerio firewall, but ill check again. i was thinking about runnng the lsp fix but i couldnt remeber the name. thanks. i have used it before on a friends computer about 8 months ago, so ill give it a try. ill post back later to let you know if it worked or not.

edit 1: my operating system(OS) is (edit 2: Windows)XP

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Lets hope LSP fix does the trick. DCS mat jump in with other ideas if that does not work :)

5. dark2_07

I have a HD with an image, but ill have to run all the updates on it. If the HD works and after the updates, ill just reimage my newer HD. i think this might be the easiest way. that way i know i have a clean HD and then i can try and down load PE and install it again. IF this happens agin the ill try to troubleshoot the whole thing.

With LSP i couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. it also didnt fix anything in the files so that makes me think that it they were not wrote over by a program. :'(

Im at work today so if anyone else has some ideas shoot them my way and ill try them before doing the reimage. Also if you would like some info i could and try give it to you from memory. o_O

Thanks for the quick replys Pilli and for the ideas about using LSP. I also doubled checked my firewall and i had given it all the permissions for it. :cool:

PS just thought i could use Highjack this and post the results if you think this might help.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

We no longer process HJT logs here but you could try the cleaning methods described here:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662

Anyway good luck. Pilli

7. dark2_07

That cool, i might just run it anyways and see if i can understand it. have never worked with HJT before, but since im an IT person maybe i can make sense of it.

i have been keeping up with ad-aware, spotbot S&D, firewall, and AV updates, but ill try stinger and another spyware/malware removal tool and see if i have any infections.

and once again thanks for all the help.

8. dark2_07

thanks for all the help and after i reimaged my PC everything worked. so i have no clue as to what happened. I also reinstalled port explorer and that program is awsome. going to buy after i get paid this month.
    Also if anyone reads this can you give some insight too why my MS file and print sharing is trying to connect to a latin america address(made a rule and denied on my firewall). 200.88.136.236 is the ip address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.