PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by clansman77, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Good news! This is one of my fav distros though I don't use Linux anymore. Back when I used it PCLOS was around 12th in ranking on Distrowatch. I now see it is up to third now. :)

I downloaded the ISO and will probably play with the LiveCD to see what changes has been made since .93.

3. midway40

I have to congratulate Texstar for another great release :) I am posting this off the PCLOS 2007 LiveDVD I created and using Konqueror (always preferred the Konq over FireFox for some reason). This release is very polished and professional and even runs great off right off the DVD.

Too bad there is no Linux drivers for the Creative X-Fi yet or I would dual-boot this puppy with Vista. From what I heard Creative has put the X-Fi Linux driver on the backburner until they get Vista's sorted out.

Anyway nice to have a nice LiveDVD laying around, they come in handy at times.

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

5. midway40

Oh, I was not aware of that. I am using plain old-fashioned EIDE drives here.

Tex and the Ripper gang are probably working on it.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Actually there was more problems reported with SATA in TR3/TR4, major changes were done in 2007 Final.

I only see 2 people reporting problems with SATA in the final version that they didn't have in the TR's. One of those (pencils) has the same setup I have, everything is fine on my end.

IMO PCLinuxOS 2007 is a keeper :cool:

7. midway40

IMO (from my usage):

The best Gnome-based distro--Ubuntu

The best KDE-based distro--PCLinuxOS

8. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Once the FTP mirrors get populated I'll download an .iso and check it out.
    Don't overlook Mepis ;)

9. midway40

Looks like they have added more download locations since I downloaded it yesterday

PCLinuxOS

I remember Mepis, it holds a lot of firsts for me. It was the first distro that stayed longer than a week on my computer. It was the first distro I got online with and also first to print from. Also it was the first time I ever donated to a distro. This was back in the 3.3.1 days which was rock solid. Then a later version (whenever the Ubuntu collaboration began) came out and I had problems with it. I had heard of PCLOS but had stayed away from it because it was RPM-based (memories of a bad Mandrake experience came to mind) but I installed it and loved it since.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Installed in here today and am very satisfied.. PCLinuxOS was my very first distro about 8 months ago, and this latest release was well worth the wait too. Very nice..

11. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

I love PCLOS also.
    I regularly use it as a live CD and run nmap to test ports on a local network..

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

How I can get the AVG Linux icon to the KDE Panel? Just now I need to use the "avggui" command to start the program. My Linux experience is only one week old but still other things are going well with this excellent distro.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Creae new shortcut.
    In the command line, add /usr/bin/avggui (much like Program Files\AVG\...).
    Bob's your uncle.
    Mrk

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Right click on the KDE Panel and select Add Application To Panel...

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Thanks, but I've found even better distro for me, SAM 2007.1 Linux, based on PCLinuxOS 2007, but this is also in Finnish and I've got wlan working as well (my collie bite the cable all the time :D ). Actually, there is no need to this AVG for Linux, just for fun but not now.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had some problems with SAM and the partition manager, so I couldn't use it. If you like Xfce, there is another new one based on PCLOS which gives you the choice of KDE or Xfce both. There's a .9 test release on a live cd:

http://www.granular-linux.com/

Just looked at it briefly and it looks like it has potential...

17. FastGame

You can also install the Xfce desktop from the repo's in PCLOS and have both :) add Gnome and have all three :cool:

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I did exactly that just 15 minutes ago. No problems and everything looks and works great.. :)

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm liking this PCLOS. Very nice.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Distro of my choice, Ubuntu is history as of now for me.

21. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I ordered it a while back but didn't receive it. Now i got ubuntu on cd but won't install, how bad a luck ey. :'( No burner no notingh.

22. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I don't see why there must be a choice?

I'm currently using all of the following:

SUSE 10.1 and 10.2
    Kubuntu 6.06
    Ubuntu 6.10 and 7.04

Plus as testing stuff, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, LinuxMint, VirtualCity, Sabayon, SLAX, Slackware, Puppy, Damn Small Linux, E-Live, Knoppix, Helix, and some more.

Mrk

23. FastGame

Hmmm, it seems as though you have quite a "choice" going on :D why is it so limited :D

I'm not going to answer for Arup, but....

IMO there's only so much time in a day and most people only need one OS. All the Linux are about the same, just different ways of getting there, some are easy and some not so easy depending on your experience.

For me it comes down to the desktop manager and I'm a KDE person, IMO PCLOS is the best example of KDE, and everything worked from the get-go :)

I do have a soft spot for Puppy, I take the Pup for a walk every now & then, when I feel kinky I use some BSD...the devil in me I guess. :p

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hey Mrk,

One might ask the question the other way around... why do you need all those distro's? Surely one is enough eh? :)

I too have settled on the latest PCLOS, it suits my needs and seems to be the best offering all around for me.

25. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I don't need - I just want them - and I can.

I love Linux - and getting to love it more and more every day, learning new things, learning hacks. It's something you cannot understand until you have tried it. Like hallucinogenic drugs or mud wrestling.

Sure, for productivity, I can go with only 1 or 2, but I have the ability to use the best of all worlds.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.