PCLinuxOS-2007 & an AV w/GUI & rt click context menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm new to Linux. I'm using & enjoying PCLinuxOS-2007.

Very comfortable in xp though. Not a computer n00b. Just a Linux n00b. :)

Anything from command line is VERY difficult for me to use. I want GUI's.

Even though the Linux people (them, oops now me as well) tell me an AV isn't needed. I want one. I want to be able to scan every download & on occasion my HDD.

The synaptic package manager only has clamav. I could get klamav which is the frontend (fe or GUI) of clamav. But clamav detection rate sucks.

So afaik Avast, F-Prot, BitDefender, AVG & Avira offer free AVs for Linux.

So far I've installed F-Prot with xfprot (fe). After It installed & updated. I couldn't find the GUI. And theres no right click context menu. The same with BitDefender & bdfe.

AVG has libraries needed to install properly. Of the 3 libraries I think 2 are installed. The 3rd DAZUKO in AVG user pdf says not to attempt to install/compile unless you're an expert. That definitely leaves me out.

Avira comes in a tar format. I have no idea how to use tar & gz formats. Well meaning folks say compile it yourself. Or give directions like open a command. Figured that one out. But they don't always say from which terminal or if I have to be root. Then they say just enter (I'm making up the commands) su press enter, then pw, -x fy ire, kowj & you're done. I usually get theres no such command just before or after my pw.

AVG, BD & F-Prot come in rpm. A kind member here (FastGame) pointed out rpm & deb can be installed using kpackage in synaptic package manager.

Don't know yet how Avast comes packaged.

So please folks. I need specific help getting 1 of these 5 AVs to work in PCLOS-2007. I require a GUI & a right click context menu. In order of preference I'm thinking contingent ont my requirements. Avast, BD, F-Prot, AVG & Avira.

But any specific easy to follow instructions that get any 1 of these 5 AVs to function as I require. Will GREATLY be appreciated.

When I asked specifically about this in a new topic in the PCLOS forum it got deleted & a mod said read the rules how to post in this section. No hard feelings mod but I didn't do anything wrong. Except not post links to the AVs. Big whoop. Oh well. Still enjoy PCLOS & the folks there.

But I think theres an agenda against AVs over there. So I'm here, reaching out.

Thanks all.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know you don't want to hear it, and it doesn't help, but you just don't need an AV with Linux. It's that simple. So I'd not waste your time with trying to figure out how to install one or get help. Just relax and trust what people are telling you.. :)

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Don't patronize me. Jeez.

I deal with friends, loved ones & strangers who 99.99% use M$ Windows of some flavor. Some are incapable & or unwilling to protect their computers.

When I bring something that I downloaded to their computer. I have to be sure it's virus free. I can't depend on their inferior, out of date or nonexistent AVs.

Also it's silly for me to have state this. My computer is my computer. I want control. Not blind faith in others from all over the world.

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I never ran an AV when I was in Linux but I will try to help you.

Go into Synaptic and search for ClamAV. If it is there install it. However ClamAV is command-line only so you will need a GUI for it. Next thing is to install KlamAV which is the KDE front-end (GUI) for ClamAV.

If it is not in the repos, just do a general search for 'antivirus' and see what comes up. I cannot recall what PCLOS had in it's repos but usually ClamAV was in every distro repos I ever tried.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Those are command line scanners, you'll need to wait untill Texstar RPM's F-Prot and it will be QTF-Prot with both command line & GUI.

Not just there but everywhere in the Linux community. They don't need AV unless they're running mail servers, Linux is open source thats why they only think in terms of ClamAV/Kclam, even though the desktop detection in Clam is bad its good for mail servers.

In the Linux world if you download files for windows on Linux then let the windows AV take care of things when it gets the files, that how the Linux guys look at it.

It comes in RPM and others. I don't know if you got my PM over @PCLOS but I said to use Avast if you didn't want to wait for the F-Prot package.

Avast has avast detection, GUI & command line, right click context menu (Right click> Actions> Scan for virus), and its easy to install.

Install Avast:

Register to get your key

Download Avast RPM, right click> open with Kpackage> install

At some point it'll ask for the key, I don't remember if its during install or the next step I list....

Open Konsole and type avastgui, hit enter, update Avast :)

To add Avast icon to task bar (kicker, panel) right click on kicker> unlock> Add application to panel> Add Non-KDE application.

Now to configure the Avast launcher:

Button title= Avast
    Description= AntiVirus
    Executable= /usr/bin/avastgui

Now next to the Button title you'll see a box with picture, click it and icon data base will popup, choose the Avast icon, click ok and it'll be in your kicker panel.

You should be set to go :)

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7. FastGame

Are you dual booting XP and Linux ?

If so install this Driver on XP and now from XP you can scan your Linux partition with your windows AV scanner ;) Oh and you can also move files back & forth between the two....

Bummer on the internet thing :ouch:

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Alright fine, if you're going to download Win programs, apps and files in Linux and then pass them on to Win users, then have at it. That didn't occur to me. Or perhaps you're going to dual boot and have Win on another partition. Knock yourself out.. But if you're just a lone Linux user, using Linux apps and files, and never pass anything on or dual boot, then you really don't need an AV. That's all I was trying to say. Jeez... ;)

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. Got it. Will try it later.

Anybody know of another lowcost dialup isp that allows Linux?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks FG worked perfect. Even found 3 virii. All FP's I'm I'm sure. They were Avira AV files. :D

11. FastGame

WoW! :D

Better send them in to ALWIL before Stefan finds out :blink:

12. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well I'm happy with FRYS. I just got prematurely geek freaked for a couple hours.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

The only time Linux would ever need a AV is if you are running a mail server, and its only needed so that gullible Windows users won't get affected by Windows malware passed on from the servers. Linux system can't get affected, in my years of running Linux or seeing Linux based PCs, home and enterprise, I am yet to come across a virus infected PC, IMHO, putting AV on Linux kind of defeats the purpose of using it. Only few Linux AVs do real time scanning via daemon, Clam is one of them, usually used by those running mail servers in Linux.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    When you say dial-up, you mean 56K dial-up or that you use some sort of a dialer to connect to the ISP, while the connection itself is broadband?
    Mrk

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

56k. Thanks Mrk but I think FRYS ISP is sorted now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.