PC World: 13 security solutions tested by AV-Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

lol, they need a mouse and patience for 3 clicks :argh:

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

25 samples is not near enough to provide a relevant rating of the top 10. Statistics state that the larger the sample size the more relevant the results will be in a real world situation. 25 samples out of the millions available is only 1/40000000 if there were only 1 million viruses in the world. Thats pathetic.

Second they say Comodo stopped all of the samples, was the only one to do so, and then didnt end up in the top 10. During this claim they said the core security wasnt there. Either it is or it isnt. I doubt it isnt since it was the only one to block all 25 samples. Where in the world does being the only one to do something put you out of rank?

And lastly. They complained that Bitdefenders GUI was overly complicated and made it to their bottom line review. Nortons GUI was cluttered with junk they state you dont need to pay attention to and then state it has a nicely designed interface in the bottom line review. Very very very inconsistent.

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

For two reasons:
    1. The industry mentality is still very much weighed towards on-demand scanning of a large set of malware to measure the effectiveness of an AV. This is changing slowly over time
    2. Because 25 samples isn't enough to make any judgement anyway as you state. You can't have it both ways - if it's not a statistically significant sample size (which it isn't) then you can't include the results as a key factor in the final rankings. :)

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

They why even bring it up on their part if its insignificant anyways? This should be labeled more appropriately as a GUI and performance test.

7. Scoobs72

They probably should have labeled the realtime tests "For curiosity only".

8. malexous

malexous Registered Member

What Norton products have needed an email address to install?

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Don't try and make sense of this mish-mash or you'll just end up old and grey like me.o_O

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I agree too, but is it any worse than Norton which finished in first place?

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Norton AV/IS pops up a registration nag screen which can't be closed when you install the trial.

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

It can be closed (using Task Manager). Once you register for Norton Account , you can never again need to reenter all information . If you use a paid version with a license , re-entering any information for Norton Account is not needed and not done.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

But still, is this more user friendly than entering a username and password once upon download and once upon installation for ESET? I think not, PCWorld clearly is inconsequent.

But thanks for clarifying that with a paid license you don't have to make a Norton Account. Makes me considering Norton again, since I absolutely hate creating an account.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally, I think even rating the installation of a product is totally stupid. I mean if people cannot understand some basic prompts from a product, then they don’t even need to be using a computer. Having said that, I think 99 percent of users would have no issues installing any of the products tested.

Now for detection. I am not going to argue to much about their results. I agree a small test bed is not adequate but Norton has been shining in most tests since 2011 came out. And deservingly so.

And, yes Eset is lacking a tad in detection and cleaning. I think most would agree that improvement is needed and I feel sure that Eset knows this. Having said that, my AV license for them wasn’t up till April 2011, but I went head and purchased the suite for 4 computers. Why? Because of what I feel is to come this next year in their next version and I have no worries about it.

As far as PC World, I read and believe in, what the real world tells me. Period.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im sorry but i hate filling in forms just to download a trial
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/comodo-security-pro.html
    and this is (imo) over the top.Comodo probably isnt the only one that does this ,but i dont think pcworld are lying or exaggerating ,the form filling in this case.Personally i dont want to put card details etc in for just a trial.
    ellison

16. Scoobs72

I've never seen anything like that before. Handing over your credit card details just to do a 30 day trial?? And then if you don't cancel it you get billed automaticallyo_O Really? Have I misread the form or are these the terms?

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I never said you don't have to make a Norton Account for the paid . You create for any version - just once and never again . With paid product it remembers your license on the computer and no matter how many times you reinstall the product you don't need to remake this account nor re-enter product key.

Making Norton Account requires you to enter a name, email address , password and country. All this information , including email and password doesn't have to be a real existing one . Norton Account is to have a username (the email) and password to access your product key(s) online via mynortonaccount.com

Norton products use product activation technology but a single product key and u need to provide the vendor with some information.

18. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

They might also ask you for your social security number :)

19. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I agree with you the review is too critic for no reason (re. the interface) but for the account - you actually need to make one. If you got ESET box or OEM serial number you must enter name , telephone no. , email , adress in registering the serial number (similar to the Norton Account but with more options here) . If you purchase a electronic license for ESET product you must provide the distributor or the reseller with information such as billing details , name , address... Then they give you UN/PW to use instead of a serial number/product key , etc... Any vendor in the world requires such an information for a licence.

20. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I did so in my VM but the window just launched again when I enabled Norton.

This test looks worthless to me, although they have some valid points of some products.

21. xandros

xandros Registered Member

thank you

22. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hmmmm...

I think you should use whatever anti-virus solution that works best on your rig regardless what any computer magazine has to say about it.

I read the article and, if I take everything on it literally speaking I would've dumped ESET NOD32 v4.2.67.10 right away.
    The thing is, however that ESET hasn't never let me down when it comes to online-threats and USB-threats.

Although, it's true that sometimes NOD32 misses some Trojan Horses that I have thrown at it from web-sites known to distribute malware, it's also true that when I submit the .exe sample to Virus Total [VT], I see many big names that still have not signatures/heuristics in place to catch the threat.

What I do afterward is to submit the sample to ESET so it can be added to the virus database as soon as possible.

Even when some AV companies claim to catch 99.999% of all threats in the wild it's also certain that the 0.001% that go uncaught can make the difference and be the ones that trash your rig badly.

Lastly, I have yet to see when AV Test.org has performed some AV tests where they have put ESET on top of the list. Either paid by PCMag of PC World, all AV Test.org test trash NOD32. Something weird considering that its rival AV-Comparatives.org always reveals results where ESET is one of the top tier AVs out there.

Regards,

Carlos

23. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I think the AV-Test Malware set is not as prevalent as in the AV-C or VB.
    Perhaps that is why the results change much.

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

This is the first I've heard that Avira's security suite had a negative impact on system performance.:doubt:

25. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.