PC Tools Spyware Doctor and the latest Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nippa, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nippa

nippa Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone is running Spyware Doctor new version 6 with this latest version of Smart Security. On my system things keep hanging although the earlier versions of both programs ran happily together.

If someone says YES I'll keep trying:D

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

they clashed very badly with me, pc tools support advised my to turn all but one of the scanners off, which i did, and they still clashed, so i removed. sorry cant give you better news.
    as security programs multi task more and more the conflicts seem to grow more and more. imho smart will be fine on it's own.

3. nippa

nippa Registered Member

Thanks for that. I'll try it without the scanners.
    Just a weekly sweep with Spyware Doctor since I installed Smart Security has found 3 trojans that may or may not have been detected by Smart Security if exectued.

For my peace of mind , I believe that I still need a working spyware program with Eset's offering:mad:

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The fact Spyware Doctor detected some files as trojans , doesn't make these files real trojans/threats (if at all SD found files as malicious).

In order to eliminate any potential incompatibilities , you can add SD files and folder in ESET Smart Security's exclusions . Open the GUI of ESS , press F5 to enter the Advanced Setup tree , navigate to "Exclusions" and add the whole folder(s) where SD is installed in a format ending with *.* . Example:
    C:\Program files\Spyware Doctor version 6\*.*

You may have to edit the exception in order to make it end with *.*

5. nippa

nippa Registered Member

Thanks I'll try that.
    Sunbelt's Counterspy seems to work a little better with ESS.
    Sorry but the trojans look viable! While an ESS scan showed nothing.
    Counterspy has found 5 more nasties of which 2 look significant.
    ( Trojan NtRootkit131 and TrojanCryptXpack) I'm dealing with them right now.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i had counterspy before s/d, it is the slowest, vastest program of any description i have ever seen. and it pop ups all everything, theres really no point using a low resource av and sticking either of those monsters on your system. if you're not happy with nod get something else. counterspy takes forever to update and 'merge' also.

7. nippa

nippa Registered Member

I agree completely Stratoc.
    It's a gross program.

8. Person J

Person J Registered Member

I currently have both ESS and Spyware Dr full licensed versions on my computer. I like them both I have noticed that spyware dr is slower and I have contacted them they said it was a bug. I have noticed since I updated to the latest ESS version I have had bad bad processor trouble, my computer freezes and I have dual processors. Man one thing I don't like.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.