PC Tools Firewall 6 beats Comodo at Matousec

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aegreen, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

I just do not understand where all the suspicion and amazement comes from.
    Pc Tools firewall has scored high for the last few of these tests.
    It has moved up a notch,this time.
    That's all.
    A few people here on Wilders have been calling PC tools are nice firewall for awhile.

2. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

Matousec is a con. Do some research.

3. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Gotcha. My Google is broken.
    School me,please..
    Or is the research that led you to that conclusion really, "gut feeling"?

Or is it so complicated and involved it just cant be explained?

4. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

All of these firewalls CIS Online Armor Outpost Kerio all of these are great firewalls. As far as Matousec tests I dont trust them.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I'll give it try and see how it goes? RIS2010 had crashed one system of mine...

7. tipstir

Okay let the test begin.

8. Julian

Julian Registered Member

How can you say that you wouldn't trust Matousec-tests?
    You can download the tests, test how many of those tests your desired product passes and appraise the risk potential of the leak of failed tests.
    You just need to decide if the failed tests may be critical, furthermore you can look into the SC if you are an expert programmer.
    Matousec doesn't play with "marked cards"!

9. tipstir

I ran a test using
    Key-Logger Simulation Test Program

But of course PC Tools Firewall Plus detected this program on launch ask me did I want to allow or block it. Also since I had Keyscrambler for Firefox now I know that program is really doing what it suppose to do scramble the key inputs. Funny I tested this even on the Rising 2010 IS and it didn't alert me again it must of trusted the application.

Anyway the applications that had crashed when I use to use PCT FWP 4, 5 and prior 6 now loads without crashing under this version.

10. mimuweb

mimuweb Registered Member

Well, my first reply in this forum. Hello, my name is Miguel Angel, from Spain. Sorry for my bad english. I've tested recently PC Tools Firewall in my computer, and finally i ended uninstalling this firewall because crashes my CaptureNX (Nikon). Now, i use Outpost Firewall Pro and i'm very happy.

11. tipstir

You found it to crash? I found to to block remote desktop to other systems when it first didn't have that issue. I had to add another profile to fix that problem. Now it works! On Server side it blocks all PCs on the trusted network so they can't access the server. Good thing I had image backup to go back to the prior setup as all is well again!

12. tipstir

Those that can get to to work good luck and I started to get started to get CPU spiking causing issues. They fixed a lot at PC tools but application get robbed memory injection then your application don't load at all. There is a fix for that but who wants to do that for all your applications that the firewall deems a threat.

If my Network Drive Manager which is network drive monitor and you can setup shares it tells you the condition of the network share if it drops the connection, how much space is left on in percent an more. But main reason I use it so I know if the file server shares are connecting. It's great tool for wireless laptop users as well as wired. But when I use different firewalls I can tell how good they are if they can connect to all the systems on the network with out issues.

If the Network Drive Manager shows a big red x in the system tray on the network icon then boy there is some issues, but they seem to be with the firewall in question. PC Tools connects and ask you if your on a home, public or work network. It does see the network, but soon after it block all access from network shares.

13. oversky

oversky Registered Member

I use the Comodo leak test to test PC Tools Firewall 6, but the score is only 180/340. Do I have wrong setting?

14. tipstir

That means nobody at PC Tools ever ran the test to see how well it did? I just ran the test on Outpost Firewall Free and the score wasn't that good.

80/340

Avira PE had warned me that it had detected a threat! Of course that would have killed the session making the program to test not to run.

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I didn't find it optimized at all.

16. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Couple more test results

Avira did the same as above, but I ran the test 40/340
    ESET Smartsuite 40/340
    Online Armour free 340/340
    I also tried the various options for Comodo and got a low score for the basic setting, a touch higher for the recomended defense setting and full marks for the query everything defence plus.

17. tipstir

Online Armour free scored that high, that means someone did their homework with the comodo leak test. I ran Privacy Firewall it had missed a couple before it had detected the threat. Avira needs to stick with Antivirus and get out of the firewall business. I won't run the prem version ever again. Comodo IS 3.12 very stable I got it on everything I got. I just need to add it to server and ditch RIS2009 for good!

18. tipo

tipo Registered Member

19. tipstir

Again that's only a review of one or more persons reviewing the security packages. Still I rather test what works on my own. I can't speak for everyone here but you're not going to convince them to believe otherwise. We all have favorites you have the Pro version I have the free version so again whatever works you'll use it even if a review doesn't give it high score!

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Just change the intrusion settings and you will achieve 310/340 or so with outpost free.

21. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi for those who like to swap products according to the Matousec results, good luck with the PC Tools firewall.
    Here is the appropriate section of the forum for you to read about waht PC Tools users think about this outstanding performance.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59557

Good luck again and be happy with the numerous PC freezes when ESV is turned on.

Thanks

22. tipstir

No one would be happy with freezes! Just something that works! This program works only if you go back to 3.0.0.14 otherwise 4, 5, 6 seem to have some memory leak & cpu issues. PC Tools told me there was no need to update the software, so why just stick with 3.0.0.14 well that has a lot of allow/block popups and it's 100% free. I won't use it again though.

23. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that seems to be a specific issues to certain systems, i can tell u its not an issue for everyone (like myself)

24. smage

smage Registered Member

I'm glad that it works fine for you, for me it was causing my PC to constantly freeze when I was running it alongside Avira.

25. I'm using it now and not experiencing any freezes.

(Actually I have to say I'm quite pleased with it; the expert mode offers all kinds of cool stuff, like showing the contents of blocked packets. As a freebie it's quite impressive.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.