PC MAG: Comodo Antivirus 5.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol, well i guess u didn't pay enuff attention to read thru everything i said, and as we just saw from Dragon's post after mine, he actually responded to what i was saying and understoof it, u seem to be the only one that wasn't capable of comprehending my comment about "Comodo's Promise", read before u post.

2. Again, I mean no disrespect towards you or anyone here.

Well have opinions on Comodo, based on past experiences/actions and etc. I'll let you guys be the judge of the upcoming versions...

Just with DACS detection really will be the best in the world.... It's a very unique and well, you will find out when it comes - Hopefully also cleaning improves with this detection. Don't have to believe me. But as always anyone can take my posts for future reference. :)

Josh

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

A list you keep next to the one of AVs never to use? :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. Vladimyr

"I speak of none but the version of CIS that is to come after me," intoned Josh, his voice regaining its accustomed declamatory tones. " A security suite whose merest operational parameters I am not worthy to calculate -- and yet I will design it for you. A suite that can calculate the Question to the Ultimate Answer, a suite of such infinite and subtle complexity that organic life itself shall form part of its operational matrix. And you yourselves shall take on new forms and go down into the suite to navigate its ten-million-year program! Yes! I shall design this security suite for you. And I shall name it also unto you. And it shall be called ... CIS 5.1!"
    - adapted from 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' ( Chapter 28 )

BTW Josh, Go Dragons tomorrow!

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Since when comodo has a whitelist? As far as I can see it only has a trusted vendor certificate list.
    Just remove microsoft from the trusted vendor list and run any app that came with the OS. :D

Panagiotis

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

7. Grand Final is on Sunday haha.

And yes!!!! GO THE DRAGONS!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. Vladimyr

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Vladmir you might be missing the point... Check the date of the quoted post lol. it was v3 more than a year ago, and now comodo arguing about their cleaning abilities even tho as u can see in the above post what Melih has preached about how good it will be. Yt the results now don't seem to show... now the excuses arise.

10. Vladimyr

I don't believe I missed your point at all (indeed you may have missed mine ;) ) thanks anyway for the amplification.

11. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I would only add (noob) friends. But your words express nothing but the bottom line of this discussion. Comodo is good at keeping (not removing) malware outside a (and only) geek's system... :argh: It's not user friendly, but not because of it's apperance but because of the way it handles malware blocking... IMO

12. Vladimyr

Yes of course, Sunday it is! Tomorrow is the AFL "groundhog day" final. A Saints win on both days perhaps?

13. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Oh thanks guys, I really needed cheered up today and this thread has been hilarious. I've been getting frustrated that seemingly unrelated threads turn to talk of Comodo lately but its all been worth it. It's seems this one sums up the ultimate in fanboyism vs the cynicism absolutely required in forums such as this.

One thing I'm sure of is that in the boradrooms of Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avast, ESET, Avira etc worried men are not huddling in corners muttering 'our times up guys, DACS is coming'. More likely counting their dough and laughing smuggly at the vain (and veign?) attempts to cut off a slice of their pie.

Comodo was developed as a niche product and will undoudtedly remain one. Why fight it guys, embrace it. It's not for the average user but it is for you so celebrate that!

Trying to convince the world Symantec et all must quake in their boots before the future of PC security that has Melih at the vangaurd just aint going to work. Average Joe is better served by good detection, reputational assesment of the material they download and intelligent behaviour blocking than they will ever be by HIPS or a 'sandbox'.

Don't fight it, admit you are not an average user, you do understand HIPS, you do understand a sandbox thats not a sandbox, you do understand that acid like detections means mediocrity in real terms but don't care because you do understand how the sandbox and HIPS works and let the masses be.

To paraphrase - I have seen the future of internet security...... and it aint DACS despite whatwever Comodo come up with in version X.Y

Thanks again for the laugh.

Cheers

14. icr

icr Registered Member

Good luck is what I could say for comodo team:)

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Today AFL, tomorrow the league. What a weekend. :D :thumb:

About this thread, the more Comodo is openly tested, the more it should improve.

16. I hope so.

I put money on both saints! Roosters have been playing very well though compared to last year, last year they were the wooden spooners! This year; new coach, new players and new tactics. It will be close but Dragons have my full support!

17. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

I will start by saying that I consider myself to be about as far away as one can get from being a "Comodo Fanboy." Like a good percentage of our members, I enjoy researching and trying out new security software solutions. If anything, that generally means I seem to have little vendor loyalty, although I do have a few favorites that I seem to bounce back to in between. ;)

Secondly, many of the posts in this thread have me a bit confused. I read all of the praise for CIS 5.0 in the "other anti-malware software" forum heading prior to installing 5.0 on three of our most heavily used computers. Now, in this thread it seems like the majority of posters have something negative to say. :eek:

To be honest, when I first started reading this thread, if I had not seen the topic heading, I would have thought for sure that we were discussing version 3 or 4. I used the default setup to install "all", although I did select to try out the Comodo's secure DNS. Here are some general obsersations.

1. I generally experienced a lot of popups in version 3.x, which were greatly reduced in 4.x. In 5.0, I hardly ever see a popup and I am frequently at my desk up to 18 hours per day.

2. Several programs still get partially sandboxed, but my experience is that this is way less than what I experienced with 4.x. The whitelist seems to have improved dramatically with this newest version.

3. I have read plenty of posts at Wilder's in the last year where many people have agreed that the Comodo AV has improved. The manual and scheduled scan settings now have an option to "scan the cloud."

I have used the anti virus in CIS off and on since 3.x. My only complaint was that it generally found 2 to 4 false positives that I had to "allow". It also found a few files that were confirmed to be malware that other programs missed. The entire suite always seems to run extremely light for me. I also appreciate the fact that I always have zero issues "out of the box" with networking and printer sharing. Even with my often poor surfing habits, the anti virus in CIS protects me just as well as my favorite AV vendors.

I've read the linked article and see plenty of positive comments regarding 5.0. OK, so secure DNS blocked only a small percentage of URL's containing malware on the date(s) of the review. In regular surfing with any AV, when I get prompted to download or install from a suspected malware link, I frequently submit a sample to Virus Total. We all have experienced the fact that often, only a few of the major vendors have already identified and detect the apparent "zero day" malware in their current definitions.

5.0 also reportedly detected 100% of the root kits and scareware samples. Not bad for a free suite! Those who have nothing but bad things to say about Comodo should give this new version a try. :argh:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  18. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Well said.
    I also like your setup. How is Immunet free working for you?

19. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

very well said iTrendsNET. +1

That is the same experience i had in V3,v4,v5.
    It works near 100% in keeping a system clean from malware provided a little knowledge from user on Comodo. I don't think its a Rocket science difficult to understand.

When i installed v5 in my laptop, it sandboxed my ATI drivers. I just clicked "Don't Isolate it Again" on the pop-up and from then onwards no pop-ups...

My Desktop - Comodo Fw v5 + Avast Free AV + Prevx SOL
    My Laptop - Comodo Fw v5 + NOD32 AV + PrevxSOL

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  20. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

Thanks! Immunet free works fine and has a very light footprint. I don't really have that much else to say as my primary AV flavor of the week always seems to do it's job lately. ;)

21. Well said! I have alot of respect for you. :)

CIS has come a long way.... and quite frankly it has 40 million users and thats growing, why pay for security when you can get top notch security for free. ;)

Ver 5.0 is the ultimate balance of security and usability. And that will improve with DACS, up coming cleaning abilities and better detection for CAV.

PS - I rather have CIS protect a clean PC then use Norton and try to clean a infected pc using detection technologies. ;)

Josh

22. harsha_mic

@ Josh,

why don't you just PM me about DACS....i just can't wait whats been cooking there... :)

23. It's already been cooked ;) Just a matter of putting it in CIS now. :)

And I really wish I could tell you but I can't due to legal matters, patent pending etc. Public will be informed ASAP. Moderators do know DACS btw, how it works and all.

Josh

24. harsha_mic

So, i wish DACS could be able to keep its promise (Detection). then CIS will be the BEST (excluding Dw) in terms of Protection in all respects (cleaning, i guess it takes some time..)

Regards,
    Harsha.

25. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

FYI - "Josh" has just now requested that his member account to be deleted from this forum. I'm posting this here because he has done this several times before, and, I don't want people to think that we deleted him on our own accord. He just asked for it again. He will not be allowed to return this time. We will only put up with this kind of thing just so many times. Account deleted, as requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.