PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Beta Program

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I wanted to try out NIS 2007, but never could get it running properly. The install went fine, but after re-booting, it took about 5 minutes for NIS to load. That is no exaggeration. Maybe it's something to do with my computer. I tried three times, but always the same results. I even gave NAV 2007 a try, same results. I really wanted to try out the new Symantec products. I have 1.1 Ghz processor, 1 Gig RAM, XP Home/SP2. There shouldn't be a problem.

I also tried TMIS 2007, and it loads fairly fast, with no performance problems as far as browsing speed goes. No similar problems with any of the other AVs I've tried either.

2. Giluxis

Giluxis Registered Member

The memory issue wouldn't be that big for me either but I run a lot of streaming video both through an ATSC HD tuner and internet.

I monitored the CPU usage while this was going on and 2007 seemed to pulse to 100%, while I had the video on or if I did any surfing on the web.

With 2006 the system humms along at 15~20% no matter what I do.

There is something horribly wrong with 2007. It's sad. I was really impressed with TM until now.

Resturants seem to go through the same life... you know..."Wow this place is great! How do they charge so little for so much??" then after they get popular "Jeeeze, did they substitute horse meat for my strip steak?. Where is my waitperson anywayo_O" Then after they lose market share "All you can eat mazzo!!Seniors eat free." Next the door is padlocked and the ex-owners are wondering how they screwed up a good thing.

I think most of the TM problem revolves around the attempt to hide a fulltime online link to the TM servers in this beast. Naughty Naughty TM.

3. Graystoke

Well, I'm just disappointed that I couldn't get NIS and NAV 2007 working on my computer. I've read some good things about it, and wanted to give it a try. I don't remember having this problem with previous versions of NIS/NAV.

EDIT....I checked out the CPU usage by running some streaming video while running TMIS 2007. When the video first starts, CPU does spike to 100%, but after a couple of seconds, it hovers around 24-55%. I'm no expert on these matters, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. :)

4. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

LOL....which reminds me of an old joke...somebody commenting about a restaurant...

:D

Agreed on the open line...nominally a constant link to their 24/7 chat support.
    That whole window to the right of their program display...trying to sell extra features that really few people would ever use.....how many folks go to a public computer for an online financial transaction? That sort of inprogram salesmanship is very irritating to me...the kind of thing McAffee still does and Norton used to do. And the open line is (was) very irritating to me also.

5. RiverLights

I believe you. And there shouldn't have been any problem. I'd ask the usual questions about what other programs you have loaded on your machine, but I am sure you had that more than covered.

I will never completely understand computers. TMIS probably has you more than adequately protected....getting something relatively trouble free that works for you is the most important thing.

Sometimes I think the approach below would be the best way to go....<G>

http://www.glasbergen.com/images/g590.gif

6. Graystoke

The only other resent security programs I had on my computer were AntiVir PE Premium, and the AntiVir suite beta and RC 1, not at the same time of course. I ran two registry cleaners after each removal. After trying three times to get NIS/NAV 2007 to run after re-boots, I tried two other AVs, BitDefender and NOD32. No problems there. Trend Micro 2007 was my next experiment. No problems there either. For some reason, NIS/NAV 2007 won't play nice with my computer.

Not really sure how long I will be staying with Trend Micro 2007. It's ok, but........

PS....I like the cartoon. :D

7. greenstem

greenstem Registered Member

I upgraded to 2007 as part of the free upgrade for existing customers
    (soon after beta ended i guess)
    At first I was pleased, especially with the integration of antispam and outlook express.

Anyhow after a couple of days I noticed my system response getting very slow. Finally tracked it down to Trendmicro process, PcScnSrv. This process would jump to consume close to 100% of the CPU for 3-5 seconds whenever I did anything (opened window, switch tasked whatever)

Trendmicro service chat session was very helpful, well sorta. They had me do a complete uninstall and reinstall. That seemed to solve the problem with PcScnSrv for a couple of days. I could still see PcScnSrv, but it was not consuming anywhere near 100% of the CPU. Then it started again, back to PcScnSrv chewing 100% of CPU every time i turn around.

At first i thought it was simply a "feature" of 2007, but reading this thread it appears I am a lucky special case (although other sites hint at problems as well)

So, anyone else still having trouble with 2007 ?
    By the I have fairly standard Dell Dim4500, 2.52 Ghz with 1GB RAM
    winXP-SP2, nothing really unusual.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, this case is unique, cpu usage should never jump over 20% ish

9. cham44

cham44 Registered Member

I'm having similar problems. First off it takes about 60 seconds for the icon to appear in the system tray (coincides with the loading of pcscnsrv) at which point the CPU goes to 100% for about 30 seconds and goes back down. I open IE it goes back to 100% for about 15 seconds then drops to 30% just with the web page open (yahoo). Yahoo is my homepage, it loads and this happens, I didn't touch anything. While sitting at yahoo it will just stay at 30% CPU usage and never go down unless I close IE. As I am typing this tmproxy and pcscnsrv alone are taking up 130Mb RAM total. I have found crap like this to be the norm for AV programs except eTrust EZ AntiVirus and AVG free edition which are extremely lightweight. I'm beginning to wonder if good protection is possible without slowing the crap out of your PC. I assume that hardcore security types consider AVG Free and eTrust EZ AntiVirus to be inadequate correct?

I forgot to add that I installed the Suite with the default options (which includes the firewall)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  10. RiverLights

My friend and I, as previously posted, had many problems with 2007 Cillien.. In our case not so much general slowdown...though there were times....but every time, incredibly slow to load.

FWIW, and I never thought I would say this about a Symantec program, I have been delighted with 2007 Norton Internet Security. Has become a set it and forget it for me. The only time I catch a noticeable slow down is just before a Microsoft office file opens..it scans it for a couple seconds and so the opening is delayed. ( that function can be disabled from the menu)

Amazing that suites don't slow computers down more actually. Here's an abbreviated description of the function of Norton's heuristic approach, and I assume most suites do something similar nowadays....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your cpu usage and the 60 seconds to load, your talking of boot up times here .... nothing to do with the program regarding perforamance.

as for the ram usage, read a few threads, this has always been said.

you talk about it slowing your machine down, rubbish.... it runs fast when its booted up,as its using all that memory to boost it, ive done countless performance tests with the 2007 compared to other leading products, and it was in the top tier for performance (if your machine can handle the ram issue)

if your machine can handle this, its great software.

i think its £28 for 3 pcs, very very cheap ... matches windows onecare for price, updates frequently, with a 90% detection rate (similar to panda), has fantastic antispyware and a great firewall, passes most leak tests (for people who care about them)

so if your machine can handle the ram issue, i recommend this software fully... for cheap and secure software, a nice design interface and a seemless integration into outlook express for spam.

12. cham44

cham44 Registered Member

I contacted TM and they said to uninstall the IS, delete the TM folder, undo Spybot's "immunization" feature and uninstall Spybot. Then install the latest build of the IS here:

ftp://ftpuser:ftp-trend@ftp-downloa...15/UnableToInstallMBD/TIS15InstallerFiles.zip

Now it seems to work fine.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i really wouldnt use spybot, surely there are better detection in other free programs?

because the last time i used it, it missed loads of things.

14. cham44

cham44 Registered Member

I didn't use it as a spyware scanner, I just used it for the immunization feature.

15. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

I have to tell everyone. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1505 in October of this year. It came with a three year subscription to PC-cillin Internet Security v12 for Dell. I was under the impression that at some point, I was going to have to format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. My Core 2 Duo processor at 2 GHZ was running more like a Celeron than a Core 2 Duo. Then...I own a three user license to v2007, which was installed on two of my machines. I just uninstalled v12 for Dell and installed V2007 build 1429 that I got from Trend Micro. MY GOD! It's a whole new machine. It used to take a minute and a half to get fully into windows with my wireless card connected. Now it takes 15 seconds. There is a whole world of difference now. For all of you who complained about the resources on bootup...I suggest you contact TM about build 1429. Wonderful isn't even near what the difference is in my Inspiron...

Enjoy

Bob:rolleyes:

16. Chawoobie

Chawoobie Registered Member

Just to let you all know: Trend Micro now has a fix posted on their website. Apparently the problem lies with Spybot which increases the size of the spyware exception list considerably, casuing pcscnsrv to slow down when it is scanning web pages. I followed the instructions and the problem is resolved! Solution ID is 1033903, posted 12/7/2006

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.