password/sign-in/log-on

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by savansown, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savansown

savansown Registered Member

I would like to secure my computer(Windows 9:cool: so as nobody else can access it offline. I can register a password to protect my personal files, but anybody can come in and turn it on, hit "Cancel" when prompted for a password, and continue on their merry way into my computer unimpeded. How do I institute total password coverage for all programs so that once it is turned-on, my computer is unusable until a password has been entered?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

savansown

You can set a bios password. That will slow down the honest people.
    Look at your instructions on how to bring up the bios settings on your computer.
    It differs on different computers and motherboards.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Windows 98 is a graphical user interface on top of DOS. It can not be protected (except for some bios protection like Ronjor mentioned), unless you add other software tools (mostly disk encryption with pre-boot authentication).
    The best option is to upgrade to W2000 or XP. In those cases: do create user accounts next to the admin account. Secure the admin account by using a complex password.
    Alternative: get a linux, but do the same: create user accounts and secure root.

Lesson: don't use w98 if you need security.

4. savansown

savansown Registered Member

Thanx ronjor, I'll be looking bios info up, see what I can learn.

meneer, thanx to you too, I'm cutting my teeth on an old Compaq DP2000 5200MMX DOM and plan to up-grade soon. I bought this used, so no telling what bugs are hidden in it. Not to worry yet though, it only gets hijacked a couple times a day...heh-heh!

5. securityuser

securityuser Guest

A good third party product is LOCK MY PC. No DOS workarounds and locks on boot, on-demand, or after a certain time of non-use. I have used this and can tell you it's a very nice addition to any computers security setup. It's $19.95 after a trial.
    http://www.fspro.net/lmpc/

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. securityuser

securityuser Guest

OTF encryption creates containers or encrypts partitions. None of those in the link above encrypt your system drive or offer boot protection w/ a password. That site of Sarah Dean's is also about 5 years old and there are much better products now to do OTF encryption.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

can i ask what you think of CompuSec for XP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.