Password Requirement is a Killer

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by sizer99, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sizer99

sizer99 Registered Member

I've gone back to Lookout on Android for the moment because of this Catch 22:

- Eset Mobile Security whines constantly if you don't set a password (big red ! in the notification area).
    - It asks for password on boot, and doesn't bring up the keyboard. You're completely locked out of your phone.

This is mostly with custom ROMs like Cyanogen or Phiremod, but unless you can either reliably bring up the keyboard (add a button to force it!) or you can disable the whining about not setting a password (am I missing an option?) the only recourse is to reflash.

The adding a button to force a soft keyboard seems like the best option. I don't mind having the password on boot, but I do mind not being able to enter it. Don't make it bring up a specific keyboard, make it bring up whatever the default keyboard is.

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

I'm not sure about other custom roms, but in CM7 you can bring up a keyboard by holding the menu button. Haven't tested to see if it works in the password screen though. But shouldn't it open a keyboard if you tap the input field?

3. sizer99

sizer99 Registered Member

Yes, normally tapping the input field would bring up the keyboard... but doesn't here. Possibly because the app is preventing focus from being stolen and preventing task switching. The cursor is blinking in the password entry field, and no amount of tapping on it or tapping home or menu buttons does anything.

Once when an app that was coming up in the background force closed, I got the little 'blah.blah has stopped working (OK)' dialogue, and when focus returned to the ESET mobile password field the soft keyboard did come up. But it's not a method I want to rely on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.