Password Depot 6 mini-review

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by moontan, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried this app a few times over the years and although liking it, i thought it was a little expensive.
    i bought it a few days ago.

the app is well designed and easy to use. it is not cheap (30 euros, then 10 euros for yearly updates) but the features and security are top notch.
    they have a trial version that works indefinitely but only stores 20 passwords or less.

the Master Password is protected from keyloggers by entering the password into a virtual keyboard.
    all fields can be Auto-Typed, Dragged & Dropped, or Copied and Pasted.

there are 4 methods of Auto-Type, including a Double Channel Obfuscation method.
    all the 4 methods passed the SphyShelter 'Anti Test' utility for keyloggers.

PD is also protected from clipboard loggers; it will tell you if an app is trying to monitor your clipboard and ask you to Allow or Deny it.
    the SpyShelter Anti Test was not able to hook into the Clipboard as PD protected it.
    very nice! :)

all data can be entered into PD with the virtual keyboard instead of the physical keyboard if you choose.
    while this protect from keyloggers it would not protect if you were infected with a "screen grabber" malware.
    i mention that on their forum (i proposed a global anti-keylogging feature) and the mod said they were looking into it and would implement additional security features in the near future.
    but having said that, i have not seen too many password managers that offer at least a virtual keyboard, like PD does. :thumb:

if you like password managers it's well worth trying the demo i think.

S10 Password Vault and Keepass (using Double Channel Obfuscation) are also very good alternatives.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

And, if you keep your data in cloud in Dropbox, then you can use it on multiple computers.

Sticky Password has a very good virtual keyboard too.

I own Password Depot, Sticky Password and AI Roboform.

I was not aware about the yearly fees, are you sure?

However, it took them long time to upgrade from version 4 to version 5 and then not long to version 6. On each version upgrade, I had to pay 10 Euros.

Best regards,

KOR!

3. moontan

my bad, you are correct.
    it's 10 euros for every major updates.
    but i think version 5 was released almost exactly 1 year before version 6. ;)
    --------------------------------
    Kasspersky Password Manager and Sticky Passwords foil screengrabers by showing multiple mouse pointers while using the virtual keyboard.
    very clever.:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I took a look at it today... Don't tell anyone, but I'm starting to become a huge fan of fluent/ribbon UI... Password Depot 6 has it as the main UI... :D :blink:

There are a few features that I'd like to see them become part of Password Depot, and I'll be sending them an e-mail. Once they decide on them, I'll share them here. ;)

I like it. It's intuitive and the settings are very well structured. Some similar programs have their settings in a way that make the programs not being intuitive, but Password Depot is not dificult, at all. It's my opinion, of course.

I'll see how it goes and if Password Depot team makes the changes/implementions I'd like to see, then it will probably be a keeper.

:thumb:

5. moontan

i asked them to add a multiple mouse pointers showing in the virtual keyboard to fool screen logger, prying eyes and cameras.

i'll contact the development team to ask if they are working on it.

best password managers by far that i've tried, and i've tried a lot.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I already sent them my suggestions. Now, I'll wait and see. Those changes are needed, to move from KeePass to PD. :D

-edit-

One feature that I like, because it can help the average user have safer passwords, is that it alerts the user is the password is easily guessable using dictionary attacks. I really think this is a plus.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.