Partitions, Backups and HIPS etc..

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hugger, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I have a question about partitioning and backups.
    If I put my XP Pro on 'C' and I make a backup image/copy of it I then am able to restore the OS to its original state.
    Whan I add HIPS, AV and AS they are also hooked on to 'C' if I understand this properly.
    So how do I use the new image/copy?
    Is it married to the HIPS etc.? Or is there a way of making a clean image/copy of the security apps?
    Or is there a better way of doing this?
    I ask this because with some of the security programs out there, I uninstall them and find I'm still not able to use some of the other similar programs because the OS has become corrupt.
    Also, of the may programs that I read about in this forum that make images and copies which would be the easiest to use?
    I hope I've explained my question properly.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

When you make an image of a partition/drive, everything is backed up.

For making an image theres many program to choose from like Acronis True Image, Image for Windows/DOS, Paragon Drive Backup, Shadow Protect, and more.

Ive only tried Paragon and Acronis and they seem easy to use.

edit: I reread your post. I suggest you create a bootable CD or similar with your imaging program. Even if Windows get corrupted you will still be able to restore an image.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If i understand you correctly,
    1- you image the OS partition with no security programs, lets say it's right after installing XP
    2- you install programs
    3- you make a separate image with the programs

When you to restore the first image (1), the OS is restored as it was when you imaged it, that is, all changes made in 2- are gone.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is correct.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hugger,
    During an installation from scratch, I created these images :
    1. WINXPPROSP2A-image = WINXPPROSP2, based on my installation CD (phone activated).
    2. WINXPPROSP2B-image = WINXPPROSP2A-image + Drivers
    3. WINXPPROSP2C-image = WINXPPROSP2B-image + All softwares.

The first two images have never been on-line and are not that important.
    I only need them, just in case I want to start all over again.

The WINXPPROSP2C-image is for restoration only and I update that image :
    - with the latest version of each software
    - with the latest configuration of each software
    - with NEW softwares, I'm planning to use for a long time.
    This image has hardly been on-line.
    This image has hardly been used.
    This image contains no personal data of any kind.
    This image has been scanned ONE time thoroughly with all available decent scanners, just to make sure it wasn't infected during very short internet connections.
    This image has been cleaned ONE time by registry, history and junk cleaners.

This clean image is the beginning of my DAILY system partition, that will be constantly on-line.
    So in practice, I have a
    1. Clean Image, that has hardly been on-line for RESTORATION only.
    2. Daily Image, I prefer to call it my Dirty Image, that has been constantly on-line. I don't depend on my security softwares to keep it clean, they TRY to keep it clean.

Because I'm a FDISR-user, I can use archives to clean my daily image, which is much faster (2 minuts) than restoring a clean image. Using another ISR-software in frozen mode does in theory the same job as FDISR.

The restore-time of a clean image = 10 minuts, which is at least 2 x faster, than the full scan time of ONE scanner.
    If you want a guaranteed clean computer, you better restore a clean image at the end of the day, than running all your scanners.
    Thanks to FDISR, I have a clean, unused system partition after each reboot, that is more than one time a day.

The subject was SYSTEM partition, my DATA partition is another story. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

The subject was SYSTEM partition, my DATA partition is another story.

Erik,
    Thanks. That was a mini course all by itself.
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been going in too many different directions lately.
    You're using FDISR. However I believe that they are now out of business.
    I'm looking at Acronis TI, EAZ-FIX and Paragon to use instead of FDISR.
    I'll also be looking for a program w/Frozen Mode.

What do you use to back up your data files?
    Thanks
    Hugger

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Let's get the details correct.

FD-ISR was a product produced by LeapFrog Software. They have a forum on this site, here. They don't deal with end-user customers, their products are available from third party distributors.

At the moment, there are two flavors of FD-ISR available, a rather costly variant for servers, and a much scaled down version for workstation users. Both are available from Horizon Data Systems. FD-ISR Rescue, the workstation product, is a scaled down version of the "full" FD-ISR product mentioned frequently here. The price is also scaled down relative to that version. That "full" version of FD-ISR used by many members here is no longer available, but all the respective companies just mentioned are in business.

Blue

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

9. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thank you both for your help.
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.