Partition Now Corrupted And Unreadable

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mattyb, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattyb

mattyb Registered Member

It's one problem to the next, LOL. With regards to my last post concerning my computer unable to find a partition (which was due to service pack 2 not being installed), for a short period of time I had access to my E:\ partition I created (my main partition is C:\). However, all of a sudden in my computer the E:\ has lost it's label, is reported at 0 bytes (it's actually 80 gig) and upon attempting to open I recieve E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. I think partitioning is a little too problematic for me folks, LOL, but any idea how I can resolve this to get my data back off the drive? I can't run CHKDSK because I recieve Cannot open volume for direct access. Thanks in advance! :)

2. mattyb

mattyb Registered Member

Here are the Windows Disk Management and Disc Director screenshots if they help. :)

Attached Files:

3. bombing

bombing Registered Member

Since I had similar problems using this product I followed the advice given and only perform these tasks off the CD and well away from windows. Have you tried using the CD -> reboot, set on BIOS to boot from CD/DVD drive, and work from there? If you have no data on the drive you should be able to get to it and perform whatever you need, even a reformat...
    I'd like also to stress that I'm in way an expert on Acronis products... just sharing my little experience to date.

Also, never forget about pressing the commit button when you're done (as I sometimes did...)

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

It may be time to get professional data recovery if the data is irreplaceable.

In the recovery console run diskpart to see if it can see that the data exists, if it does this is a good indication that the data can be recovered. If it shows no data then a trip to the local computer tech is probably prudent.

There are also data recovery programs (free ware as well as retail), but I have never used any of these applications so I can't vouch for any of them.

If you are determined to try out fixes anyways (knowing the dangers) DD10's ability to change a drive letter to "none" (requires a reboot) and afterwards reassigning the original letter may get the partition back on path. If this works then get the data off ASAP.

Running chkdsk /f /r on the c drive may also work as it may see C: & E: as one partition (might work).

Another possible fix is to "delete" the E partition (w/o data destruction) and then run the partition recovery wizard, again if this works get the data off quickly.

Again I must caution you that these possible fixes may be devastating (with Windows and DD10 the potential for "innocuous" procedures to turn into disasters is always possible [reading through the forum is evidence enough]).

Members have recommended KNOPPIX to get data off a disk (search the forum for details as I haven't tried this yet).

Could be other forum members have had similar problems that they were able to fix or have better ideas. Waiting for responses can't hurt much.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.