Paring down my system...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Luxeon, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I currently have Zonealarm Pro (built-in anti-spyware), Spybot, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender.
    I am giving NOD32 a trial.

I have read that it is usually fine to use only two anti-spyware programs, so I am considering removing Defender and Ad-Aware.

What are your recommendations?
    I read that Spybot is pretty good overall, and ZA allegedly has a good program as well.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
    Bob

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Well first you can have as many anti-spyware programs on you computer as you can fit into your hard drive. Running them realtime at the same time is not adviseable.

I would recommend for on-demand: Superantispyware Free, AVG Antispyware 7.5 free, A-Squared free. I run one every week and it seems to work fine (so far they havent found anything). For realtime: SpywareTerminator is good program and it is free. I use Supernatispyware Pro myself at the moment, but i have used SpywareTerminator before.

There are many others aswell so most you can try and decide yourself what suites you.

Kristian

3. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

In fact, I think HIPS software is much better to use than any traditional anti--spyware programmes. Just add a SSM/PG/ProSecurity to your current security set up, only keep ZA Pro as real-time protection and set Spybot as on--demand (turn off the "teatimer"). The defence is strong enough IMO and such setup may save a lot of resouces .

4. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I had to look up what "HIPS" meant...it make sense.

I will look into adding a HIPS, keep the ZA (continuous) and use the Spybot on-demand (I already do this).

Though the Ad-Aware and Defender programs don't appear to be resource hogs, if they are limited in usefulness and/or provide opportunity for conflicts/errors/breakdowns, it is likely best to uninstall them.

Thanks for the assistance.

Oh...I have another question (unrelated), but will post it separately.

Bob

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

I havent run a "spyware" ap since I tossed out IE and adopted firefox + noscript and a HIPS
    that was 4 years ago

what I really recommend is virtualizing \ sandboxing the traditional threat vectors (browser, email, IM)

sandboxie is free
    for "risky" surfing use a live CD (Knoppix, Slax, ect) also an ideal platform to scan your normal OS from the outside

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.