Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite is released.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by NICK ADSL UK, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickDiver

DickDiver Registered Member

Puh

have not been at Paragon's site for years. But well, actually I am impressed with the promises your programms give. Hope it is not bells&whistles.
    FYI I was a long time Acronis TrueImage & DiskDirector user but I left Acronis and am looking for an alt.
    My backups are done at the moment by Ghost 15. And it does its job very well. Especially the way it handles recovery of files by mounting its recovery points in no time.

Hoever, I am here also since I am not so satisfied with Ghost's P2V capabilities. It works but as I noticed Paragon is far ahead and has much more to add.

So, I am going to buy a Paragon product for my rarely P2V needs and the handling of my VHD's.

I would like to know now which product I should go for or more precise would it be wrong doing to buy HDM-Pro?

Am asking cause P also sells VirtualizationManger(Pro?). But after drinking two cups of coffee I do not see what that product can what HDM-Pro cannot. And well, since HDM-Pro can do also lots of stuff I cannot do with Acronis DiskDirector I's prefer to spend some bucks more to go for HDM-Pro.

Can you advise me?

thank you

2. glitch82

glitch82 Registered Member

I attempted to use the HDM 2011 WinPE recovery disk in order to resize my HFS+ partition on a GPT disk, and it corrupted my partition structure. The disk somehow was listed as a basic disk, and the HFS+ GPT partition type had it listed as "Microsoft Basic Data" instead of Apple HFS+. Since Hard Disk Manager doesn't include a way to change the GPT partition type, only the partition ID, I had to use a seperate command line tool called "GPT Surgeon" which is a python script that changed the partition type and allowed Disk Utility to see it once more.

This was a painstaking process that nearly cost me all of my data, and had it been another user I'm almost certain they would have failed to discover why their partition would no longer mount in their OS, or if was the OS partition, why the computer wouldn't boot at all.

Although I should have made a backup prior to resizing, I was under the impression that a tool with Paragon's name behind it would at least be partially reliable. Having rescued my data, now I'm not sure whether to rely on this tool for anything at all.

In an unrelated note, Paragon's NTFS for OS X version 9.0.1 caused my Lion OS to kernel panic after moving a lot of NTFS files into my trash and attempting to empty the trash. Booting into Windows showed my file system as dirty and repaired it. Back in OS X, attempting to empty the trash once more caused another kernel panic, like clockwork. I'm really not sure what's going on or who's to blame (Apple or Paragon).

3. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Which version was it? I encountered similar problems too with HDM Server (both Win native and WinPE), while HDM Suite works flawlessly in all tasks.

4. martytx

martytx Registered Member

After being an Acronis user since 2009, their lastest backup software made Windows 7 USB stick drives unusable. I tried Backup & Recovery 11 Home and was very impressed with and so I purchased it and it works great.

Did several backups and restores from the PE3.0 recovery disk and it worked great and didn't trash my system like Acronis did.

LOL late to the game here but I am hooked.

5. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

I've been a IFW/IFD user for 5 years +, and a PowerQuest user before that. My first experience with HDM 2011 Suite came a few days ago, when my trusty IFD boot disk wouldn't. Boot. So I checked out Paragon, and gave it a try. I'm very satisfied with it. I don't do anything fancy; I mainly do full system image backups. I'm running it on a Lenovo laptop, with a 63GB system partition, with about 12.5GB of actual data on the partition. Backups were fast. Restores were fast. I backed up to HDD, DVD, and USB flash drive. I restored from HDD and DVD. All successfully. I also made a nice bootable CD using a file that accompanied the download of the main program. Those elements were all good.

Then I got a message after doing a second full back up (the first backup I did was done using the bootable disk made with the accompanying file) that I should make an emergency recovery disk. So I listened, found the place on the menu bar to make the emergency recovery disk, put in a CD, read everything that came up, especially the part about being given the option to make a Linux-based recovery disk or a Windows-based recovery disk, but before I ever had the option to NOT choose the Linux-based disk, it started making the disk. At first I thought it was a coaster. But I rebooted with that disk in the CD/DVD drive, and it took me to what I can only surmise is the Linux-based recovery disk. At first it seemed like it was a total wash, because the mouse didn't work. But then I started clicking buttons, and eventually must have hit the "Enter" button, and voila -- it took me to a more normal looking page. I used the tab and up/down arrows to eventually navigate to a "restore" option, and aside from feeling like I was almost back in the DOS age, I was able to actually successfully complete the restore using that Linux-based dinosaur. :D

Of course, in the future, I'm simply going to keep using the WinPE based boot disk, but at least I now know, in a pinch, the Linux based disk can get the job done. In a weird way, I felt a sense of accomplishment that I didn't let the "strange looking" program beat me. :thumb:

6. skbaltimore

It's not a big deal, but I've noticed that after restoring a system image using Paragon HDM 11, my entire Windows Update History is blank. It's as if I never did any updates at all, despite the fact that I've done around 70 Windows Updates since 2/19/12. When I go to the "Installed Updates", they're all there. It's just the Update History that resets to 0 every time I do a system restore. I have the following options set in "General copy and backup options":

unchecked: Hdd raw processing
    unchecked: Partition raw processing
    checked: Skip OS auxiliary files
    checked: Skip archive files stored in archive library

I don't have anything checked in the Exclude from copy/backup section

Another issue is that, despite having 3 archive image backups, with several differential folders, the "Archive" section is totally greyed out.

Finally, I noticed a lot of Event Viewer errors after a restore. The only "critical" error is: Event ID 41 Task Category (63) "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". It seems to occur when Paragon kicks out of Windows to perform the C drive system restore. I assume it's the result of kicking down to sub-Windows to do the restore of the system drive that's generating the error, and it's a false positive in this instance.

There's also a Search error, Event ID 7042, Task Category 'Gatherer', that says: The Windows Search Service is being stopped because there is a problem with the indexer: The catalog is corrupt. Details: The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801) However, when I run sfc /VERIFYONLY from a command prompt, it does not produce any corrupt system files. And everything works fine after a restore; it's just that the Event Viewer racks up 8 Search errors, 2 Service Control errors, 1 Kernel-Power error (the "critical" error cited above), 1 Kernel-EventTracing error, and 1 EventLog error. By the next boot up, however, no errors reappear; they all seem to be related to the restore process itself. And other than the vanishing Windows Update History, everything is as it was when the image was done.

NOTE: I just sent a support request to Paragon, and I'll report back after I hear from them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thank you for inadvertently providing me the confirmation of this serious bug. And forget about hearing back from Paragon. I mentioned this issue to them 3 years ago and it is still present in HDM 12.

See my first post Nov 2009 here. I had not noticed the windows update history then, however it is mentioned in later posts.

Then I posted on the Wilder's main page on March 2010 here.

Then one last time back on Paragon official support thread here.

After this I dumped Paragon and switched to Macrium.

8. skbaltimore

And thank you for confirming for me that I hadn't lost my mind. The first time I did a restore I barely took notice. The second time I was more aware. And yesterday, after I did a restore, I was certain that it was happening. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the setting I'd chosen, but I can't see how choosing to not copy the page file, etc., would wipe out the update history.

I was a little more concerned about the greyed out "Archives" section. It means that at least that part of the program is not functioning. I remember another poster asked me to let him know what Paragon told me, because he was having the same problem. I was lazy and didn't get around to it until today, when I realized my 30 days free support was running out. Do you happen to know anything about the "Archives" being greyed out?

9. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Interesting, I lost update history in the past also but never realized the relation to Paragon. I'd like to know if there's more serious issues of restore than just losing update history. Why Paragon don't take care of any bugs reported here? I reported more bugs of Paragon HDM but none of them seem to be handled up to now.

10. skbaltimore

I noticed a lot of Event Viewer errors, but other than the loss of the Windows Update history, I haven't noticed anything else on my system not working right. It seems that when you do an image restore, and Paragon kicks out of Windows, it triggers a critical error regarding an unexpected shutdown. But it doesn't affect the ability of Paragon to actually complete the restore, and when it boots back into Windows after the restore, everything is okay. There are a bunch of "Search" errors, but again, it doesn't seem to affect the computer in any adverse way. And after the next reboot, no errors re-occur. They only occur after the boot following the out-of-Windows restore.

I've also had success using the partition management tools.

The only thing I'll never use again is the defragger. It took almost 2 hours for a 63GB hard drive, and that's just insane, when other pro defraggers can get the job done in 15 minutes or less.

11. Raza0007

The problem is that these are the issues we have noticed. God knows what else is not being restored as well. As I mentioned in my older posts on this issue, my hotmail emails downloaded in outlook were always gone. Outlook had to download them from scratch every time after a restore. Norton internet security virus definitions were also causing problems. These were some of the things I just happen to notice as I already said who knows what else is missing.

As for why Paragon does not take care of the bugs reported in its official support forum, I have no idea. Various theories have been suggested, like Paragon's developers are either German or Russian, so they can not read English. What the real truth is I do not know. I was fed up with it 3 years ago.

12. Raza0007

It has nothing to do with not choosing to copy the pagefile. There is something wrong in how Paragon interacts with VSS, as this problem is not there if you use PHP (Paragon hot processing).

I did not notice the greyed out archives when I was using it so can't comment on that.

Lets hope you get a response from there support staff. Maybe after 3 years they have started looking into customers problems. Just remind them that this bug is present in all their 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 products.

13. skbaltimore

This is my first time submitting a help request. But if it plays out with me the way it played out with you, I will not be very happy.

14. criss_x

criss_x Registered Member

What about the Sil 1334r RAID Controllero_O

I need to clone my OS from a RAID 0 array to another HDD...

Does this sofware supports this HDD controllero_O

Probably I have to use the Live CD to boot from and the to clone my old HDD arrdy to the new one... Correcto_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.