Paragon drive backup.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by incursari, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incursari

incursari Registered Member

I saw there are a few thread about ATI and IFW here and very informative. I start trialing IFW and I found out very nice and simple to use. I found out about Paragon drive backup and found out there are a lot of options after reading at their site ( http://www.drive-backup.com/home/personal/features.htm ). Just want to ask if anyone had used this and like to hear the comment.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

While I've been a very satisfied ATI user for several years, my brother (who never could stand to mimic me!) bought Paragon Exact Image earlier this year. In conversations with him, he claims to be extremely satisfied and much prefers it to IFW/IFD, which he also has/uses (note to BING/IFW/IFD users: please don't flame me for that remark). ;)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Did you try a restoration with the IFD-floppy already ?

4. incursari

I havent try to restore it. I just try to do the backup and check the speed of it. I will try to restore it later by today. Does IFD can be burn onto CD and boot from it? Because i dont have Floppy drive anymore.
    I read about your comment about ATI and it work good for you. But after reading at ATI support forum and find out many users complaining about it I scare to try it.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

IFD can burn directly to CD or DVD and then it is indeed a bootable recovery Disk

6. incursari

Ok thanks i will get back here after restoring the image.

Could you tell me more about this Paragon backup program, options/extra etc.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I don't think you should put TOO much weight on the bad reports you read in the forum. Remember that more people with problems will post there and someone with NO problems may never visit. It would be more fair to Acronis AND YOURSELF to reconsider Acronis True Image. If it works for you , it will probably work very well.

Sorry, I have no experience with or info on Paragon backup to share with you and I know you still want that.

8. incursari

I decide not to do a restore after i found this problem with IFW. After i installed TBIview, i open tthe backup image which i save at my "E:\" drive without any problem.

After i copied my backup image to my external USB drive and try open it with TBIview i got this error "Unable to mount the image because the file system is dirty, not recognized, or an error occured."
    I didnt know what is this problem are and i dont see any error after copying my backup image to my external USB drive, so i dont do any restoration for now because of this error.

Sorry about my comment, i didnt mean or say ATI is bad. I just want to play safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  9. crofttk

I didn't think your comment was bad. I just think you need to find the right back up system for YOU, despite what does or doesn't work for others -- THAT'S truly playing it safe.

On the IFW "problem", 1) you DON'T want to try to restore your C: drive from within IFW and 2) I have seen problems where some people have copied large files from an internal drive or another USB drive to a USB drive and the copy was not exact, a checksum program can reveal this if you calculate checksum for the files and then calculate again after copying and 3) If your drive is "dirty" that means that it has errors and you need to run the "Error-checking tool" with "Automatically fix file system errors" selected. A drive being dirty is not necessarily the fault of the program you're running when you discover it as dirty, that could have occurred any time before that.

10. Peter2150

Exactly. I would run chkdsk and then reimage with IFD/IFW. I have moved image files and then retested them and not had any problems.

Pete

11. incursari

ok i will run checkdisk for my USB drive and try copying the image again and check if TBIview can open it. Thanks for the info.

12. Peter2150

You may also need to run chkdsk on the drive you imaged. If it is "dirty" then the image is also dirty, and nothing you do to the usb drive will matter.

I suspect that is your problem.

13. incursari

I dont think so my drive that i image is dirty. This is how i did it:

1. Image drive "D:\" with IFW and save the image to "e:\"
    2. Open the image file "E:\D_Image.IMG" with TBIview and no problem found , i can see the file and directory structure.
    3. Copy "E:\D_Image.IMG, E:\D_Image.001" to external USB drive "H:\" .
    4. Open the image file "H:\D_Image.IMG" with TBIview, this is when i got the error as i posted a few thread above.

I will try to image it again and save directly to my external USB drive and see if i get the error again.

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello
    This may be it?

You must have created the "Image" in a folder.

You may not be able to "copy" each separate part of the Image file separately to new location.
    If you put your Image File: ie:
    imagexxx.IMG
    imagexxx.001
    etc
    into a folder, then copy the folder, not the individual files.
    Or at least copy en mass not individually.
    AFAICT, TBI/IFD/IFW/BING access the image files by finding the .IMG file first in the folder.

Try it and see?
    Or: The copy/move operation may have corrupted the image subfiles file/s itself.

See if you can make it happen again.

Did you run Phylock when making the image?
    Did you do "byte for byte"?

You could ask terabyte?
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=xover&group=public.apps.image&utag=

15. incursari

Yes i run Phylock when imaging but without byte for byte.

I solve the problem by image my drive directly save to my USB drive and i can open and view it from TBIview and do restoring without any problem.
    Thanks for the help and suggestion guys.

16. incursari

Yes ErikAlbert at last i can restore the backup image with IFD without any problem.
    I will give it a try with Paragon drive backup and Acronis True Image next.

17. ErikAlbert

Well done !!! Keep us posted. I'm more interested in Paragon, because I know already that Terabyte and Acronis can be trusted, but always try these softwares for YOURSELF. It has to work for you !!!

18. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

As I said, it's on my brother's PC, so I can't readily access it... Afaik, Paragon's Exact Image replaced their older Drive Backup - but for complete info go to... http://www.exact-image.com/

19. incursari

I've been trialing Paragon Drive Image 8 personal edition. I found out this backup program is very easy to use than IFW/IFD. It have many features.
    Im able to backup my partition/drives and restore it without any problem. The backup image compress a bit better than IFW from what i see. It can also backup the first track of the harddisk and mbr if you choose during the backup. It can also create the recovery media/cd in case system crash and unbootable, boot from the cd and restore the image from there. It also comes with partition utility which is good addition to it.

pvsurfer, i guess this Paragon drive backup 8 is newer than Paragon Exact image from what i read at their website.

ErikAlbert, from what i found after using this Paragon Drive Backup, imo this is better than IFW/IFD for the gui and easy for a user like me to understand. Im not sure how to do stress test for this, good if you can make stress test on this see how it will perform.

Attached Files:

20. egghead

egghead Registered Member

21. ErikAlbert

I always said that IFW/IFD isn't a very userfriendly software. All these devoted IFW/IFD-fans don't agree with me, but that doesn't bother me, because I know what userfriendliness means. Terabyte is quality, but they have alot to learn about how to develop user interfaces.
    Besides that, their backup/restore solution is a mess of different softwares. :)

22. crofttk

Oh, I see, and we don't. Thanks very much, Erik.

23. Peter2150

To tell you the truth I am darn greatful for their unfriendly interface. None of the new shiny Recovery CD interfaces are working on my box. I suspect it is the intellimouse, which I am liking. But good old unfriendly IFD doesn't need a mouse. May they not changed.

By the way Erik, my first shot at IFD left me feeling the same way. Now having been thru it I feel a bit foolish. It really is as easy as falling of a log.

P ete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.