Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Pro [from Gaotd] is S-L-O-W

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ibssguy, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibssguy

ibssguy Registered Member

I was pleased to pick up a free copy of Paragon drive backup 9.0 Professional Edition from GaOTD a few weeks back and decided to use it instead of Drive Image to back up my new Vista Notebook to a 250gb Western Digital external Drive. It seemed quite a bit slower than Drive Image [took about 6 hours to back up], but I could live with that.

Today got the BSOD and started the restore partition process. It has, so far, been running 2 hrs. and has restored .9086gb of data, with 118.2gb to go. At that rate it will have to run 24 hours per day for about 12 days to complete the restore!!!!:ouch: It is reading at 0.2mb/s. and writing at 6.0mb/s. At this speed, I can use the restore partition, update Vista, reinstall and update all my software, move all my data back to the machine and still get about two weeks of work done all before Paragon would finish this restore. Good grief! Unless there is some really simple thing that I've missed [which is possible - cause it's unfathomable to me that any commercial software would be this awful], I'm headed back to Drive Image!

2. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi ibssguy,

Typical backup speeds to a USB drive are about 2-3minutes/GB. For 120GB, 6 hours is about right. The restore should be comparable to this speed.

Are you restoring your backup to a smaller drive/partition size? If so, Drive Backup will build the partition according to the new parameters, and then perform a file copy of the content. This takes significantly longer, but the speeds you're reporting seem much slower than this should be.

Some systems (usually 64-bit) have problems with the "restart mode" or "bluescreen mode". Did you initiate the restore job from within Windows and then click the option to restart and run the operation? It sounds like this the case.

If you haven't already, please boot to the Drive Backup Recovery CD and perform the restore from there. This is created by running the Recovery Media builder from the Windows install of Drive Backup. You will need to use the 'Normal Mode' (Linux) option on this disc since you need USB support. 'Safe Mode' (DOS) does not support USB or LAN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.