Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Free

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by crystal90, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystal90

crystal90 Registered Member

I'm having problems restoring specific files from an archive.
    I select the files I want to restore, click apply and the restore runs for a few seconds and fails. I get the MS error "launcher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." Some files are restored but not all. The files are some data files, nothing special.

I'm running XP Pro SP2. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, Crystal

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hello crystal,

Do you get an error message from Paragon as well ? If so, click the hyperlink on the error message - which may indicate the problem.

Are you using Restore Wizard , or the File Transfer Wizard?

In the meantime, you will probably find you can restore the files from Paragon boot disc - using either Restore, or File Transfer Wizard.

Hope it helps

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello crystal,

As SIW2 mentioned, the File Transfer Wizard will do what you need, but I'm also curious as to what caused the application to crash if you can report what the exact error code it was.

In the meantime, to use the File Transfer Wizard, go to Tools > FTW > locate the .PBF or the .000 file, double click and expand down into its folders. Select the files or folders you want and copy it to the clipboard using the green arrow button. Complete the FTW wizard by clicking next and specifying where you want to restore it to.

4. crystal90

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them out in the next day or so.

I found this in the launcher.exe.exp.log file:

EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x7C911E5A: ACCESS VIOLATION read attempt to address 0x0A044C54

If this is a security violation, I'm already signed on as administrator.

Thanks again, Crystal

5. crystal90

Tommy,

I tried your suggestion to use the File Transfer Wizard by going to Tools > FTW > etc. This time I saw the error. It had to do with creating the thumbs.db file. I was able to click 'ignore' for each error and the rest of the restore was o.k.

Previously I had selected the 'restore' function from the left panel under 'basic backup/restore tasks', but I did not get the actual error message. I thought it wouldn't make any difference which way I restored files.

Thanks for your help, Crystal

6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The Restore button will restore your complete archive if it was a full image, so be careful or you might overwrite an existing partition. The File Transfer Wizard gives you more control over what you want to restore on a file level.

For future reference, use the Restore button to restore everything from the archive and File Transfer Wizard to restore individual files.

I'm glad to hear your problem was resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.