Paragon Backup Products and Windows 8 RTM

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bboyer, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Anyone know if the latest builds of either Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite or Backup & Recovery 12 Home (paid version) can handle backup/restore of Windows 8 RTM? I did run across a press release from Paragon that stated B&R 12 Home had been successfully tested with the Consumer and Developer's Win 8 preview releases but can find no information on compatibility with Win 8 RTM. Any info would be much appreciated from anyone who perhaps has been testing these products out with this platform.

I know Acronis is promoting it's latest True Image and Backup & Recovery products as being Win 8 compatible but I'm a bit loathe to go back to their products in light of the fiasco they've had with their TI 2012 version and the introduction of their instrusive activation process, not to mention the deep-rooted hooks into the O/S itself.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Do a search in this forum on user "SIW2" as they mentioned something about this in another thread.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

4. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Thanks. A few threads popped up using that term so I'll browse through them and see if there's anything useful there.

5. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Yes, I've used the freebee version for the time being but was hoping that someone had been playing around with the current releases of either HDM12Suite or B&R12Home for Win8 compatibility. The freebee is very slow and, of course, has no options such differentials etc. Guess the key word is patience.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

B&R free is ok on win8.

HDM12 Pro doesn't support win8 yet - problem with the mount drivers.

You might find the BR free quicker if you uncheck archive integrity under the settings tab.

7. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

It's in the works ladies and gentlemen, shouldn't be too long before the supported Windows 8 version is released.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Thanks for that. Yes, I have archive integrity unchecked.

9. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Yeah, patience, I know. :cautious: :)

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I am sure it will be worth the wait.

11. Paragon_Matt

If I had a reference to a date to look forward to it, I would gladly share it with you guys.

12. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since the disk is a NTFS volume, shouldn't the WinPE or even the Linux recovery version work for a backup/restore if you really need it?

13. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

[ Don´t expect Win 8 support in HDM 12. Expect it in HDM 13.]

14. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Probably so, and likely the same with Backup & Recovery Home (i.e. not 12 but a version 13 release for Win 8 [sigh] ).

15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't know - HDM12 hasn't been out all that long.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got an update for HDM 12 win8 support.

@seek

Yes, it is fine running it from winpe, of course -works fine in win8pe as well.

Not related to this thread- but you might be interested:

PARAGON-RESULT.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  16. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Am I understanding correctly that booting from either HDM12 Suite and, possibly B&R11 Home, Linux Boot Media (don't have PE media built) should correctly backup and restore Win 8 RTM?

I'm just being lazy, I could test this all out myself but I've spent days getting everything installed and set up and just cringe a bit at possibly screwing it all up by experimenting around with backup and restore that may or may not work.

I do have a current backup of Win 8 using the recently released Paragon free Win 8 backup pgm but, out of sqeemishness, haven't yet attempted a test restore using it.

17. Paragon_Matt

Please keep in mind guys when you are attempting this on a Windows 8 machine the software is not designed to properly recognize a Windows 8 OS. So when rebuilding information it may not be done correctly.

18. seekforever

I never say it is certain until you've tested it but AFAIK there are no changes to NTFS. You might look at the disk structure with the Windows Disk Management and look at the partitions so you have confidence you have backed up what you need.

I assume you know the recovery boot media environment does work on your PC.

Ideally, you would restore to a spare HD in case you have a failure and I would never consider being an early adopter without having a spare HDs to play with. Good use of the old 160GB and similar drives that are now "small".

19. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

All-in-all, I think I'll just wait for Paragon to release their Win 8 RTM compatible products. No real hurry.

I do know that my Paragon recovery media works (with Win 7 at any rate) as I've had to use it a couple times in the past and it performed flawlessly. For that matter so did Acronis True Image 2011 (I avoided 2012 like the plague).

20. seekforever

Good idea if you don't have a spare drive. Matt Spathes makes an excellent point which I overlooked in that the program does do some processing after restoring the sector information. Maybe doing a RAW backup where every sector of the partition is copied would work, but maybe not, and who would want to take all that time if the partition is large.

21. Paragon_Matt

Just trying to keep you guys with functioning OS's and working backups.

22. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Just fyi, I had contacted Paragon sales regarding Backup & Recovery 12 Home and at the end of my email I'd inquired about Win 8 RTM compatibility. Here's what I was told:

"Regarding your other question, I need to tell you, that at the moment the software has been only tested with the Win8 Developers Preview Edition. There will be an update available shortly after the official purchase date of the Win8 version." [emphasis mine] I'm assuming "the official purchase date" refers to "the official release date," or maybe it's referring to Paragon's official purchase date? Anyway, sounds like Win 8 RTM compatibility should be offered as a free update to the 12 product.

So, maybe the same will also apply to HDM Suite 12.

23. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I expect so.

Much as I dislike win8, I will probably have it installed somewhere just to play around with.

24. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

So I was installing Windows 8 today, and since I'm a bit fed up with trouble with Acronis, I just bought Paragon Backup & Recovery 12. I read many good things about Paragon, so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately it appears there is no support for Windows 8?!

Will it support Windows 8 soon or will there be a new version release? I hope I did not waste this money now ..

Meantime I'm using free Image Backup for Windows 8, but it is very very limited ..

25. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Quousque tandem abutere, Paragon, patientia nostra?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.