Panda Cloud running with another AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cvette, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Mornin' folks! :)

Though I do know the 2-AV rule, I have heard countless comments on how Panda Cloud runs so well with another AV such as Eset, MSE...etc. Would this be advisable?

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am using PCAV with Dr.Web with no problems.

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Generally, cloud based AVs can be run alongside a traditional AV. That is the case with both Prevx and Panda Cloud Antivirus. You can in some cases even run two cloud based AVs at the same time, though in that case, a traditional AV is not recommended.

4. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I am thinking of using it with my Norton, that is some hot water so I'd rather have some advice before I dive in :)

Thanks sg09 & shadek!!

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have also tried Panda with my Bullguard. But I was testing with Returnil turned on. That time I saw no conflicts.

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

pbust - employee at Panda - does not recommend running it with other AV software as it's classed as an AV in that aspect itself.

7. guest

guest Guest

You can try immunet since is compatible with any AV if you are looking for an extra protection

8. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

That was my sneaking suspicion... hmm.

G'day mate. I actually tried that just last week, I couldn't seem to get it to detect anything. And the uninstall was manual (for me at least). But I'd be more than happy to try it back on when the 2.0 comes out! :argh:

9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Depending on how much common sense you've when browsing the web, you prolly won't need more than PCAV and something like Prevx SafeOnline (free through their Facebook page) where PSO blocks all sorts of logging (screen capture, keys, etc.). I personally wouldn't need any security software - it just gives me piece of mind for when a new type of threat appears and happens to be fun to test somehow, seeing how things work and look. ^^ I'd always keep Hitman Pro though to let it scan every day on startup (if you reboot several times during the same day, it won't scan at every boot - only when it's a new day, this has been clarified by a dev.).

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It may have conflict, but i know lots of people that run setups with more than 2 AV and doesnt have any problems

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It's down to the law of diminishing returns really.If your primary AV 'needs' another one to supplement it then it's probably not that good in the first place.IMO better to use 1 top tier AV supplemented with a different type of protection,ie.BB,HIPS,Sandbox,etc.You can always run something like Hitman Pro on-demand for a second opinion.

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Im runnung Panda CA Pro with Prevx full with no problems :)

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Do not and I repeat Do not install Panda cloud with AVG. Ever since Panda Cloud was released AVG detects it as a virus and kill's Panda cloud. That then causes issues with a broken Panda.

14. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

I loaded a copy up with Avast. The two ran together fine, but in my testing with lots of different malware, Avast and Malwarebytes Pro caught everything. I didn't hear a peep out of Panda. Think I'm going to try just Panda alone this weekend and see how it does.

15. TheIgster

Well, I did give Panda a try on it's own...ugh...not very good at all.

I threw 28 zero day malware links at it and I only heard from it once. Malwarebytes report after testing:

Memory Processes Infected: 6
    Memory Modules Infected: 4
    Registry Keys Infected: 20
    Registry Values Infected: 8
    Registry Data Items Infected: 3
    Folders Infected: 8
    Files Infected: 41

In those tests actually, I tried several others...Avast, not good either. Lots of infections and whatever got through, while Malwarebytes was scanning, caused the computer to reboot. :eek: Tried MSE as well, while MSE was trying to clean one of the villians, BSOD...:eek:

Clear winner tonight was NOD32. Took care of all the bad guys and a scan with MBAM found nothing at all. Very nice...:thumb:

16. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

0Day :rolleyes: ? With all due respect i appreciate your testing, but do you think, Is this test meaningful? I am not bashing you or your test. But can you please let me know the % of people who are getting infected with these 0days malwares? I am quite sure that none of the novice users are sitting behind their computer and trying to access Malwaredomainlist, Offensive Computing and MalwareBytes Research Database in order to get infected....:p

17. TheIgster

Well, to be fair, no one TRIES to get infected with zero day malware...it's funny how often it happens as people surf around the Internet.

I'm actually a little surprised by your response. No one TRIES to get infected. That's why we have AV products.

I take it you are a Panda user? Sorry, but every test I've ever done with Panda has proved to me the product simply is not good enough. I would never load it on my system to protect it. Ever.

18. AvinashR

Don't be surprise dude. Secondly, you took my wordings in wrong way. Even you haven't read it properly. What i would like to ask you that do you have any statistics that how many users are getting infected with 0day malwares? I am sure the % would be far more less. Its the Old malwares which are still a problem..And you'll be surprised that many AV still misses oldies. BTW have you checked Feb. month report of AV-Comparitives? That test was performed with Oldies...And you'll be surprised that many AV's still misses the oldies, including your NOD32 ..:p

As far i am is concern i don't rely to much on AV's.

19. TheIgster

Well, for one, it's not "MY" NOD32.

And I'm not really sure what it is you are getting at. I did a small sample test with zero day malware, as in "very new" malware. That was the point of the test. Many AV's have no issue when it comes to keeping out old nasties, but when it comes to malware they do not know about, well, that's a different story.

As for taking your words/meaning incorrectly, not sure what you are getting at there either. Most users will get infected with zero day malware because AV's don't know how to protect against it. That's the point of the test.

And if you don't rely much on AV's, then why bother even posting in this thread?

20. AvinashR

Oops i said i don't rely to much on AV's, it doesn't mean that i don't use them. :D BTW you mean Panda doesn't know how to protect its users against 0Days...LOL. Isn't quite funny. Recently i have saw Languy99 video, where Panda performed very well, and yesterday he tested it again, where Panda misses 1 or 2 malwares (Not Sure)...And in your test it missed more than that...:p

Isn't it very much funny...Okay i would suggest you to retest you NOD32 with some new malwares...:p ...And do share it with others...BTW you can see BluePoint Security Live video testing too...:)

IMO the test you performed is quite baseless, becuase very less amount of people getting infected with these 0Day naties. Still Oldies are the major concern. Here what i mean to say that malwares which are 15 Days, 1 month or 2 month Old... What i would suggest you test AV's with some ITW malwares. I am sure many AV's will miss ITW malwares too.

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

What is ITW malware?

22. TheIgster

Well AvinashR, I guess we agree to disagree. Not sure what else I can say at this point.

If my test is "baseless", then I guess we have nothing more to talk about.

23. AvinashR

ITW means In the wild..:)

24. AvinashR

Hey bro,

I am not at all bashing you or your test. I do appreciate your testing, but what i want to point out that you should test products with some old nasties too, say about 3-4 months old...This will really reflect the worthiness of an AV. :)

25. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@TheIgster: 28 malware samples are a very tiny subset of all the zero day malwares. So, the test is statistically of no value. Don't take the meaning otherwise.
    Dependence on an antimalware comes from how it serves you. So, I may rely on Avira, Bitdefender and you on Nod32, there should not be any conflicts. Nod32, Avast didn't save me from a variant of brontok a year ago, but this doesn't mean that they are bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.