Panda Cloud AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ShyGuy, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Reading the results of the "reviews", and especially Matt Rizos as he tests against fresh malware (I suppose he noticed if any files were sent to the "Recycle Bin" as it would still be blocked then...), I'm gonna add TF to the setup again. Looking forward to improvement... :doubt: :)

2. raven211

Running P-CAV without any other AV on my system, I can easily say that it's extremely light. As always, though, this is sadly individual, and probably always will be. :rolleyes:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

4. raven211

Re: panda cloud antivirus test review:)

Wow... that's pretty darn awful. :blink: :doubt:

Also noticed messed up GUI (in pop-ups), and this is a new review.

5. raven211

Have these been fixed yet? Looking in my Recycle Bin I can see that Optimizer.exe is still there, and the other was manually excluded. (Didn't experience the software being unsure of what to do this time...)

6. raven211

What benefit do you get from using the full AV-product compared to only P-CAV? You get the same Collective Intelligence technology also, right?

7. progress

progress Guest

Re: Cloud AV

pbust? o_O

8. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Sorry for late reply... didn't see the notification of new posts.

Regarding the video from Matt, I have followed his other reviews and he's a pretty straight-forward guy who has a pretty good methodology. But keep in mind that this is still beta code and we're still adding important functionality to complete the product.

We'll release a beta2 soon that stops some of the infection vectors shown in the video plus some new features for the Recycle Bin and other fixes.

The traditional Panda products also have cloud-scanning for on-demand, but not the same implementation of the on-access cloud-scanning. Additionally the PCAV architecture has been re-done from scratch so its much improved in hooking and interceptions.

9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Re: Cloud AV

Not at all. Quite the contrary, it will have more security than what the current beta has, as we're still adding more functionality.

Whatever the beta ends up being, it will become the v1.0 free version :)

10. progress

progress Guest

Thank you pbust, I'm glad to read this :thumb:

What do you think about this idea:

"Consider pairing the product with Panda Anti-Rootkit, which is also free and received our Editors' Choice for rootkit removal."

I would appreciate it :)

11. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes I was aware of that. Cloud Antivirus already includes some basic anti-rootkit functionality but even more will be integrated in the next releases of beta versions.

12. progress

progress Guest

Thank you, go Panda go ;)

13. raven211

Okay, as you can probably see I'm running the full P-AVP09. Is there a particular reason why it's not developed as far as this new beta? Will these technologies and improvements be a part of the 2009-product line when the P-CAV product is finished? Otherwise I see your customers, like me, missing out on important technology, which to me doesn't seem that fair. :rolleyes: :p

I know that TruPrevent 2.0 is there, but that's a different thing...

14. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes the idea for the future is that all our customers enjoy the best technologies that come out of all this. Keep in mind that Cloud Antivirus is still in its infancy, but we still continue (and will continue) improving our Panda Antivirus Pro, Panda Internet Security and Panda Global Protection products in parallel.

In fact there's *a lot* of improvements, specially in performance impact and memory consumption, being introduced in the 2010 products, based mostly on what we've learned from developing Cloud Antivirus from scratch. ;) Beta will come out soon, can't say when :blink:

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Please do that.Your products (Internet Security,Global Protection)are the most system unfriendly application i've seen.They look like only tested on Intel i7 machines.
    Sry for offtopic but you're from Panda and you seem like listening to users.

16. raven211

So basically it will come with the release of the 2010 edition? Will it be available this year atleast, sometime this summer? o_O

17. raven211

I've now confirmed that PAVP09 is incompatible with IE8... EICAR-test-files easily "proved it". Not blocking at once when opening unencrypted link and letting it run when successfully downloaded (for example by just taking Run or saving to the desktop...).

Also... why is scanning of files disabled by default for PAVP for the real-time protection (known threats), then pops a red warning of AV disabled when you for example disable, then re-enable the AV Protection and manually uncheck scanning of files? o_O Very weird behavior indeed, and I don't quite get the logic of NOT scanning files in real-time... that's like the default on-access scanning methods I believe. o_O :blink:

EDIT: Is the automatic submission of suspicious items run when the system has been idle since it's not sent straight away?

18. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Of course on-access file scanning is turned *on* by default.

It sounds as if it was turned off somehow (not only that, but also web scanning) that's why EICAR was able to download and run. Can you verify that all file/web/email scanning is turned on and try to do the same test again?

19. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Umm

I have not downloaded the beta yet.

I hope you folks kept the little panda tray icon :)

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

You'd be amazed how many developers wanted to get rid of it o_O
    But yeah, it's still there :D

21. progress

progress Guest

I love it :D

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ahh the Panda icon

From a name giving perspective it is a good icon, Panda also has a high hugging factor, with positive references

On the other side Panda Bears are lazy bamboo eating creatures, threathened with distinction, because they are to lazy to produce off spring in zoo's, so it makes Panda Cloud an easy target for cinics (sits there hanging in the cload doing nothing but eating CPU cycles).

Would be a nice assignment to think about a new or adapted icon for a positioning/design agency (because it is not all bad and not all good, those are the challeging design tasks).

Regards Kees

23. raven211

I would sure like a hug from that panda. :D

Back to the EICAR-case... Now with everything, including file-scanning turned on, the test-file still without a doubt gets through when downloading through IE8. :doubt:

24. raven211

PAVP, even with both TruPrevent 2.0 and Collective Intelligence missed obvious malware in a Norton crack, which Prevx luckily detects now. Unfortunately it was in evaluation mode, and I didn't have my savior TF installed by then. :p I don't care if it'll be detected later - the proactive features and the whole software failed to protect me, and now I don't know where the malware went in my PC. The damage has already been made. I guess TF will detect it if it goes on a rampage again, but that doesn't solve the initial infection at all.

I want a refund for this and wonder if it's possible. I'm highly disappointed. :mad:

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  25. progress

progress Guest

Raven, you are testing Panda Cloud AV Beta :rolleyes:

You removed it from the signature, no more testing? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.