Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 final release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I realise that cloud scanning can take longer, but that doesn't justify 2 hours and 33 minutes for 60GB. Where for example ESET does that in 40 minutes.
    I will run the tool. Do I have to run the whole full scan (so more than 2 hours) or can I stop collecting data earlier? Since if it is scanning slow for a reason the problem would be there already after I clicked the scan my pc button.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  2. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Thanks. In addition to the PsErrorTrace tool can you also send me the logs from DDS? There might be another driver installed on your machine which is slowing CloudAV down.

Regarding stopping it earlier, ideally no but yes you can. But at least let it run for more than 5 or 10 mins to collect enough information.
  3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

then what future imporements are going to happen to help improve offline protection other than local cache?
  4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

PCAV 2.0 will include a firewall with IDS. There's currently an open beta for that:
    http://www.cloudantivirus.com/forum/ann.jspa?annID=50228
  6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

So, for a first scan to improve performance, may be the best thing to do is to update PCAV. Then get into offline mode and start a complete scan?
  7. pbust

pbust AV Expert

It shouldn't really be necessary. If your scan speed is extremely slow then its probably due to some conflict or incompatibility with other installed software/drivers. Then the best thing to do is to run a scan while running PsErrorTrace and send us the resulting log.
  8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

will the firewall be a quiet one like Norton firewall where the program will answer most questions or will it be noisy like comodo or user based/asked ?
  9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Quite one like Norton's and Panda 2012's.
  10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

thats good :)
  11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Regarding slow scans, I actually have a slower offline product: ArcaVir MicroScan. As long as I can still use the computer (got dual-core), I don't really mind it. Also Spybot S&D would take ages longer if I force it to scan my entire system.

What's the point of scanning offline? Won't detection rate go down tenfold?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I have to say that 1.5 is running beautifully. I have it alongside Outpost Pro 7.5 and Spyshelter Pro, and all are working harmoniously! Looking forward to 2.0.
  13. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

Testing it! Really light in my system so far :).
  14. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

Regarding my performance "problem".
    I'm running v1.5 Pro. The used CPU time by PSANHost.exe is much lower (at least 50%) after disabling "Behavioral analysis" in PCAV.

Is it common that the first start of an application (Firefox 5.0 via Sandboxie 3.56 for example) takes a long time to start? Every further start is faster.
    After restarting the system the first application start takes more time again.

Windows (Index) Search service is disabled on my system, Windows Defender too. There is no background defragmentation software (like Diskeeper/PerfectDisk) installed.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  15. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Is the problem specific to Firefox launch?
    It wouldn't be the first time we've had a similar situation with FF and the behavioural engine.
  16. cruchot

Mainly, but not only. The start of Firefox is a bit slower because of Sandboxie too - even without PCAV. The first start of other applications like Outlook, Total Commander is slower too after installing PCAV.

My other posts about the balloon tip: Now I'm running a scheduled application that shows something like

screenshot.png
  17. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Now I'm not a user of PCA (I have had v. 1.4 Pro) but I have a question to newest version...I always thought that PCA works fully effective only in the on-line mode and the signature on my computer offer only partial protection - are there in the new version any major changes in the method of protection? PCA 1.5 protects me the same on-line and off-line?
  18. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I need some clarification on this:

What if the system is connected to the internet but all the bandwidth is used by a program like a download manager downloading a large file from the internet. Will that download be slowed a little so that PCAV can connect to its servers to scan a new file (either the real time module or manual scan) or will it scan with its local cache signatures?
  19. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@sm1
    I think this is no problem since PCAV won't upload your file but, basically, checks the hash (probably also certain characteristics) of the file in the cloud. Such a check against the cloud demands only very little bandwidth.
  20. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Is there a option to disable the firewall in the 2.0 release at installation? I don't like firewalls and I have already a firewall in my router
  21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

just install the free version, it wont have the firewall. but im sure there will be
  22. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

This is superb.. light as usual, optimized scan seems fast.. using the Pro version got it from some promo a year go :D
  23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i just hope they dont add crap like avira , avg and avast are doing, like the credit alert things with avast and so on.
  24. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Obviously not, detection is improved while online, which is the infection vector of 99,9% of malware today. For the remaining threats PCAV offers different layers of offline protection:
    * Local synch'ed cache of Collective Intelligence signatures of prevalent threats.
    * Generic signatures.
    * Signatures for non-PE files.
    * Static heuristic with emulation (codename Nereus)
    * Static behavioural blocking engine.
    * Dynamic behavioural analysis engine.
    * Autorun & USB vaccination.

When connected it adds a few more layers:
    * Cloud-based signatures (specific and generic)
    * Cloud-based heuristics (codenamed Nereus.net)
    * Age heuristics, aka prevalence
    * Whitelisting
  25. cruchot

Informative info. Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.