Packet Minefield

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Checkout, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Does anyone here know of a (free/cheap) product which will allow me to examine/modify incoming and outgoing TCP packets with a language such as C/C++?

Many thanks

2. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

No, don't know. What do you need it for?

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Self-education, bit twiddling, idea development, to raise my average at bowling, and make sure all your base are belong to us, I guess.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Have you looked at packetmon?

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pmon.htm

(Only works for W2K and XP). Don't know about the 'modify' part, but it definitely allows examination of packets. Pete

5. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

Are you looking for a C++ library/component to do this or say an application with a plugin interface?  (

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I use the packet sniffer ethereal Although I use the compiled windows version, all the source code is available

the windows version employs the winpcap modules. They may be what you are after.

7. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

After reading other responses, I see I didn't understand your question.  Did you mean is there a free source app in C/C++ that sniffs packets off the wire?  So you can examine the code?

8. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

Here is an interesting idea.    Outpost has plugin interface so you can write you own extensions to their fire wall.   I haven't had a chance to take a look at the SDK but it can be download from their site.  I wonder if you could accomplish what your looking for with that.

When I get some time I intend to see what can be done with outpost plugin's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.