Outpost Pro 2.6.451.5123 released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Its only a sidebar that gives easy access to ad/content blocking options etc.It can easily be shut and the sidebar icon (to activate it again) added to the IE toolbar.I had to click customise and put it on my toolbar though.
    ellison

2. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

anybody recieving any BSOD errors with this new version? or someone who recieved them before with the other versions, and upgraded to the new one and is no longer having the problem?

i am just wondering if they have fixed the problem, cause i would like to install Outpost.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I could never get S'n'S 1.1 to run. They identified and I confirmed the conflict was with ZA.

Pete

4. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Did you test to install new release of agnitum outpost to different drive ? ( like as D:, E: ) At the first boot, Outpost display an error message about wrong installation !!! It prefers to reinstall software, but it doesn't solve it. Outpost must be install to C: drive. It's my experience. is it a bug?

5. Security Freak

Security Freak Registered Member

is Outpost a good firewall? please help me,i think to buy my personal software firewall and Outpost look good but i need more advice.

6. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

it's my favorite so far. they offer a free 30-day trial, so why not give it a test and see how you like it?

7. Security Freak

ok,in few days wait my riview

8. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Judging by the recent posts at Outpost's forum there seems to be issues with 2.6, and the BSODs seem to be alive and well:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

I'm sure everyone has a different experience and I can see that many people have no problems with Outpost at all. But a significant number, including me, report that they do. I own a lifetime license for Outpost but I'm not using it again until it's well clear of BSODs. That's a shame, because in the intervals between the numerous BSODs it seemed to work well.

In the meantime Kerio 4 and KAH are running with no problems on my boxes.

9. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

No BSOD here at all, and it could mean a lot of different variables
    causing this for the poster you mention[not necessarily Outpost Firewall]
    I could have sworn this thread was about Outpost firewall?? Not Kerio??
    Outpost Pro 2.6.451.5123 released![Header Topic]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've never had a BSOD with any version of Outpost from 2.1 on up. No problems here...

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i had many bsod's with 2.5 and so far 2.6 is stable as a rock no problems what so ever it actuall uses less ram on my system as well. dont know why but it does. so far i really like it very much. not to much different and the side bar thing i really dont use at all. but for me much more stable

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Memory usage seems to be better in 2.6. I'm only seeing 18-20 megs here, which is an improvement over 2.5. So far, I'm impressed.

I did have to turn off the checking for malformed dns requests in the dns cache plug-in to get Treewalk working with Outpost, but other than that, all is well.

13. Caratacus

No, hayc59, I meant posts.

I said:

On the topic of "there seems to be issues with 2.6" I was referring to these threads and the many comments within them:

" 2.6 totally hosed network - winsock errors"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13574

"Outpost Firewall Pro v2.6.451.5123(402) Win/Xp Blue Screen Error"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13540

"v2.6 (451/402) - problem with Counter Strike:Source"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13573

"Web access"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13551

"Problems since version 2.6 installed...."
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13544

"Can't run IE after installing Outpost 2.6"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13560

"Problems with Outpost 2.6"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13552

"2.6 interferes with multiplayer games"
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13531

They all report and discuss problems with 2.6.

The point about Kerio (and LnS and KAH) is that they do not BSOD or otherwise misbehave on my machines: that creates a context for saying that OP does.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I spoke a little too early. Had some strange problems here last night and this morning after a reinstall of 2.6. So I had to remove it for now. Outpost started refusing some new apps without asking. No popup or anything. Happened a couple of times. I removed it and reinstalled, but still the same problems persisted. Also, I noticed a bug in the rule creation routines. So anyway, for now I'm on to something else until I can explore it further at another time.

15. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Thanks for the summary guys, wilders is ever helpful as usual

I think I'll live with ZAP 5 for a little longer and endure its occasional hanging of programs when it "forgets" to display the prompt asking for access
    After all its not that hard to exit ZA and start it again, better than a BSOD

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  16. Security Freak

I take my 30 days trial with Outpost 2.6,everithyng was good until now,when i click to shut down my PC an window was open an says DCOM or wathever,end now,and a little squares go run and when i pick end now the PC shut down as ever,this problem is here since i install Outpost,only this truble hapend 3 times o_O ( ithink uninstall my Outpost)

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Do most of you do a uninstall, reinstall the new release to avoid any problems. I guess you just reinsert your license code again to get it back off of trial onto the Lifetime upgrade again?

I ask this because this is my first new release, or maybe the second I think they had to make some corrections. But anyway...

Also has anyone been using this release with latest Avast at one time new Avast and OutPost did not play well together. It was fixed by the team at Avast by the way. I use AVG now (same question for AVG too) but may at some time want to go to Avast. :doubt:

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

mercurie,

I don't think it matters to much. If you try to perform an install over an existing installation, it goes into an uninstall cycle anyway. They are probably equivalent choices - the main difference is that you are not presented with the option to eliminate all files/directories (and therefore configuration files) since it is presumed you may want them.

For the record, I did my installation without separately uninstalling Outpost and it worked fine.

Blue

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mercurie, when I tried Outpost 2.6 I was running the latest Avast beta and had no problems.. it was for only a few hours though..

20. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You are correct. Agnitum is constantly addressing BSOD issues. Their release history page proves it.

So, there is absolutely no point in someone bragging about their own lack of experiencing BSODs with Outpost. You may as well brag about being tall... Nothing you did made it that way; it was just how it happened.

My favorite is when someone makes a post saying they have some problem, then 80 or 100 people follow up with smart-assed posts such as:

21. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Well, its not like Outpost is the only firewall in the world that has problems on some systems. Its just that some guys have all the luck...

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Same here...

23. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Well out of 8 threads listed in that post, only one actually reported a BSOD. Two concerned problems with UDP traffic with games (which have been addressed with an updated build), one concerned a failed install which was fixed by following a full uninstall/reinstall, one seems to be a conflict with Kaspersky AV and one an Internet Explorer toolbar problem (probably).
    Have you actually tested Outpost 2.6? If not, then you have no justification in saying whether it will crash on your machine or not. If other products work fine on your configuration, then good for you - it however provides no guarantee that this applies to everyone else and the examples you mention have had plenty of other issues during their history.

Outpost 2.6 is a minor upgrade from 2.5 so those happy with the previous version who don't use IE (and who therefore won't benefit from 2.6's most visible addition) need not bother upgrading in my view. However it does include fixes for previous problems (including BSODs) so those who had problems with 2.5 should consider giving 2.6 a test. I would also point out that compared to previous major releases, there appear to be fewer problems with this one, though the cautious may wish to wait for the next couple of updates to address those issues that have turned up.

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have to agree with P2K on something here. If you have not tested a product, don't bash it. When there are thousands of users, some will have bad luck. I have noticed posts from certain members where they had problems with more than one brand of software firewall. In those cases the problem/conflict could well lie somewhere other than the software firewall.

25. Caratacus

OK. I'll say it again:

Judging by the recent posts at Outpost's forum there seems to be issues with 2.6, and the BSODs seem to be alive and well:

1. There are issues with 2.6

If you read the OP forum then this is obviously true. There are issues with 2.6, as I said! Quite a few.

2. The BSODs seem to be alive and well

In threads concerning 2.6, these people report continuing BSODs:

ninj_style

zfactor

V@no

GPF

EskoJuhani

nik3k

steverio

robert1961

akozakov

Xophile

j8ee

cheliksel

There may be more - I got tired of scrolling & counting.

Hence my statement: The BSODs seem to be alive and well in 2.6. I may be wrong, but on the face of it there is some evidence supporting that statement.

I didn't say that 2.6 would crash on my machine. Please do not claim that I did. I said:

"I'm not using [OP] again until it's well clear of BSODs." That is true. When the BSOD reports largely disappear, I will resume using Outpost. But I'm not putting it back on my machine and risking further data loss until I am well convinced by other peoples' reports that the problem is solved. I do not think there is anything unreasonable about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.