Outpost LAN Internet help!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jg88swe, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Hey
    I got some problems with fixing a LAN internet.
    I've had Lan internet before betwene two computer and it worked fine but now i've switched Internet provider to Glocalnet. And now its a DialUp broadband. I must shutdown Outpost to get the internet to work betwene the to computers, but the filesharing works. I have selected to share the internet.

Anyone have a idea?

Please help :/ i couldnt post in OP forum cuease im not a member.

2. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

jg88swe, Hello I pmed Paranoid2000 over at Outpost
    should be around shortly. I know just about nothing
    about Lan set-up..hang tight P2K will give you a hand:)

3. jg88swe

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi jg88swe,

Please post as much info about your network setup as possible. It will make it much easier for P2K or any one to help.
    What OS?
    Dial up or Broadband?
    ADSL or cable?
    Router brand?
    Are you using Windows ICS?
    DHCP or Static IP?
    Do not post your IP address or email address though, that is not needed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  5. jg88swe

1What OS?
    2Dial up or Broadband?
    3ADSL or cable?
    4Router brand?
    5Are you using Windows ICS?
    6DHCP or Static IP?

1XP SP1
    2Dial up
    3ADSL
    4huh? using network without router
    5dont know whats ICS :p
    6dont know... Ip changes every time i dial up.. if that helps

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Okay that helps to narrow it down.
    You are on ADSL which is broadband. When you say dial up, most people think 56K modem on a telephone line.
    You have no router. In order to share one internet connection among two or more computers, you need a router of some kind to "route" the IP addresses to the right computer. You have Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is acting like a router. When you say "I have selected to share the internet." that is Windows ICS when you have no external router.

If outpost is on the gateway computer (the one with the ADSL modem), then you are probably blocking some services that are necessary for ICS such as svchost.exe (Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services) and/or alg.exe (application layer gateway) these are the 2 important services that need to be allowed access (in some cases inbound server) in your firewall rules. That is another good reason for a hardware router/firewall because it reduces the gateway computers exposure and reduces the CPU load needed to handle all the indound attacks. Allow those two .exe some more slack in the rules and see if it helps. P2K is THE Outpost expert, so he will be able to help much more with that.

Hope that helps.

7. jg88swe

wow thanks a lot.. ill try that in the morning.. got to sleep now.. but that sounds good...

Al do... i have had OP in Service mode.. and it dident ask anything about Svchost or alg... but i see them running in the background... so ill give it a try manually..

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Whoa! Slow down there old bean, I'm just a humble user... ;)

Jg88swe,

First of all, which version of Outpost are you using? Outpost Free (based on version 1) does not work with ICS generally while Outpost Pro (2.0 or later) should in most cases (Outpost Free does suffer from the Learning Mode bug where all traffic is blocked with the reason "Learning Mode" so if you are using this version and see these entries, try switching to Block Most policy).

Secondly, do you see any entries in your Blocked or Attack Detection logs? If you see packets blocked with the Transit rule, then you need to check your settings (the LAN and DNS settings for V2 FAQ gives full details).

However, there are cases where ICS and Outpost just won't tango. In these situations you either need to consider a replacement for ICS (AnalogX Proxy will serve for web browsing and email access - just make sure that only computers on your LAN are allowed to access it though!) or a replacement for Outpost.

9. jg88swe

Hmm dident work that devcinco said ... :(/ .. and if i put SVchost to trusted apps... well then i got several open ports on my computer..
    Ill try to tweak a little with that LAN FAQ...
    Using Outpost Firewall Pro 2.1
    Thanks for helping :)

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Making svchost.exe a Trusted application is the worst step one can possibly make :( - this will override default global rules blocking RPC/DCOM traffic and thereby leave your system vulnerable to worms like MSBlast and its ilk.

The easiest way to deal with svchost is to delete any entry for it in Options/Application and (as long as you are running in Rules Wizard policy) a prompt should come up the next time it sends data out. Select the last option (create a ruleset) using the supplied preset (Generic Host Process).

A more secure way of dealing with svchost is to create a ruleset following the recommendations in section E2 of A Guide to Producing a Secure Configuration for Outpost - however this is aimed at advanced users and covers lots of other networking issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.