Outpost & KIS anti-leak prompts on Win8 x64

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Notok, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The other day I realized that I wasn't seeing a lot of the anti-leak prompts when using Outpost FW Pro on Windows 8 x64, and after installing Kaspersky IS I'm seeing the same.

To be sure I went to Matousec.com and got the SSTS64 test package as a way to try to trigger some of those prompts, with the results to indicate which ones should be detected. Sure enough, most of the keylog[#].exe ones sucessfully capture keystrokes without prompting. Most of the other types of tests don't succeed, but they also fail even when protection is disabled; I'm assuming that they just don't work on Win8. Outpost did block copycat, so it is functioning in some capacity.

Is anyone else using Outpost FW Pro 8 or KIS 2013 on Windows 8 x64 that can give this a try and see if you get the same? I didn't run extensive tests, but they keylog tests in levels 5, 6, 9, and 10 all succeeded in capturing keystrokes.

And just for the record: I'm not worried about leaks as much as I am the programs working as they should. Unfortunately Agnitum's support has been a little slow on the draw and frustrating.

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I think it has to do with the new patchguard in Win8x64, but all the companies seem to like to keep quiet about it while parts of their products don't work properly.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Is that to say that you have experienced the same, or just that you're not surprised?

I'm hoping that someone running Windows 8 can try it out and see if it's just me or something with Win8. These work as expected on Windows 7, but there are definitely some changes in Windows 8; many of the test apps in SSTS64 don't work in Windows 8, though the keylog sims still seem fully functional.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Yes, I mean that I'm not surprised. A lot of security programs have had problems with 64 bit versions due to patchguard, so that will probably repeat itself on W8x64. I already read reports on Zemana not protecting properly and Sandboxie is redesigning it's inner workings in v4.

Interesting post on MSDN btw.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the informative links. What short time i been on Windows 8 it does seem to exhibit a marked improvement in security compared to it's predecessors however IMO it's still a little early yet to rave too much over those useful improvements given MS history to date.

BTW, Is there a good link to that very newest Outpost FW x64 someplace? I did try to install from Agnitum,s direct link however on my Windows 8 it displays a message that the AWF.system driver failed to load.

I haven't used Outpost in many moons but i do recall it was a fairly formidable combo hips/firewall.

Thanks

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Afaik the first official build of v8 is still the latest:
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/history.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.