outpost firewall free 64 bit HIPS questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wutsup, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey, i know i already have another firewall thread that i started here but no one responded to my questions.

1. In outpost firewall free 2009, i have the HIPs set to maximum and auto create rule turned off, training/auto learn is also turned off. when the HIPS alerts you for example about avira updating or some other known exe, it gives you an option under allow to allow once or auto learn mode. i chose auto learn for avira update instead of just clicking allow. that means that the auto learn was just for the avira update and not outpost firewall free as a whole right?

2. how do i get outpost firewall free 2009 to register into windows security center. when i installed it on my vista 64 bit computer, i thought it would disable windows firewall automatically but it didnt. so i manually disabled windows firewall but now the security center says i ahve no firewall even though its clear that i have outpost firewall free

3.also, the HIPS should notify me if any changes occur in the registry right?

thx in advance, wutsup

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Lets see....
    1) Yes
    2)Try re-installing outpost again. According to the outpost free forum you don't have to turn off windows firewall. It will configure itself.
    3) Yes it should.

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i just tested it and it seems like if you click auto learn mode, it turns it on for the whole firewall.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

im gonna uninstall outpost free 64bit, it makes my computer unstable and makes certain programs not run. it random;y hardlocks my computer as well

are there any other 64 bit firewalls with hips? i know comodo has one but dont know if i can trust them because of their certicafe scandal thing

edit: i just reinstalled outpost free 64 bit and it seems to be running fine now. dont know what happen in the first install.

but i still cant get outpost to register into windows security center

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

New CIS 4 without AV and installed in paranoid mode, set to safe mode after first boot, is a good application with teh Sandbox on x64 systems, nothing wrong with it.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

That's strange. I have it running on a Win7 32 and Win7 64 box and it is registered in the security center. However, I'm using Ver7.

Ice

7. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea im using outpost firewall free 2009 64 bit. i looked on their forums and other people had this problem too. the firewall still works like its suppose to and i can see the 2 outpost processes in task manager and the ?(rules wizard) in the tray area

do you know if they will release a free version of outpost 7 when it comes out of beta?

and do you know why outpost firewall free 64 bit didnt work properly the first time i installed it? i think its working normally now that i reinstalled it. it was messing with EVGa precision but i disabled the filter for it and it works fine now.

8. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Auto-learn is not application specific. This mode is used to train the firewall and any applications that may run. Although useful, it should be used carefully since all traffic is presumed safe. The auto-learn is for the firewall as a whole.

If you want just the rules for one application choose the presets that are available for most commonly used applications when a dialog box comes up. It will almost always give you that option.

Not exactly, there are critical areas in the registry that are monitored but it does not monitor all keys. OP monitors the registry keys that potentially can be exploited.

You may be interested in looking through this FAQ: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24216

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.