outpost firewall free 2009 64 bit makes my system unstable

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wutsup, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

ive been using outpost firewall free 64 bit with maximum HIPS and its been making my gaming/main 64 bit vista pc unstable. it freezes the computer just browsing the internet or trying to just change some settings in windows. also, it sometimes stops the computer from loading all its services when booting up.

should i try setting back the HIPS to optimal instead of maximum? or is it just the firewall in general thats making my pc unstable?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

try reducing the level and see if it makes a difference for better

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Which AV do you use? Are you using any other (than your AV) security software with realtime protection enabled?

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

if i just set the HIPS to the default of optimal, seems to be more stable. today i tried to start up a game with maximum HIPS, and it made the comp freeze except for my mouse. had to hard reboot.

i think it has something to do with the monitor of unkown exes.

im using threatfire, i used to have avira but i uninstalled it.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

If your using threatfire and outpost with hips enabled together ,your asking for trouble imo.
    ellison

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

threatfire is not a hips.

im gonna just uninstall outpost firewall free 64 bit for now. hopefully online armor free 64 bit will be released soon.

is there any special way of uninstalling a firewall? should i disable the outpost firewall free service and then uninstall? or just uninstall it normally like any other program or game?

7. ellison64

threatfire is not full blown hips but its behaviour block can overlap with hips functions.Theres a high probability of problems,like the ones your experiencing.Just my opinion having used both.The majority of firewalls uninstall cleanly.I would disable your threatfire if your gonna uninstall outpost ,just to be on the safe side.
    ellison

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

why should i have to disable threatfire to uninstall outpost? lol

my question was should i disable the OUTPOST firewall service before uninstalling, or just normally uninstall it without disabling the outpost firewall service before hand?

9. ellison64

You shouldn,t have to disable the firewall outpost service.Its your choice whether you disable threatfire.Considering outposts trait of either playing nice on a user system or being problematic ,usually because of conflict with other software, especially software that overlaps in protection....i advised you to disable threatfire to eliminate any possible conflicts during the uninstall procedure.However you fail to see that there could be any possible conflict,so its totally your choice.
    ellison

10. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ok thx for replying, i guess ill uninstall outpost with threatfire disabled and turn it back on after its done uninstalling. are they any other good 64 bit firewalls?(besides Comodo, i do not trust them:doubt: )

11. ellison64

I like looknstop and like its small footprint and application filtering.However it doesnt have hips like outpost or comodo ,and rulemaking is complicated (for me at least).There are very helpful people at the forum here that can help with that though.If you want hips maybe try Zonealarm ,though i honestly wouldnt use threatfire and hips firewall.I think one or the other would be less problematic.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.