Outlook Express 0x800CCC0F error with Nod32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Jona, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jona

Jona Registered Member

Only after uninstalling Nod32 (3.0) am I able to access my POP3 email messages via Outlook Express. Prior to uninstalling Nod32 I was receiving the following error message.

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.la-tierra.com', Server: 'pop.la-tierra.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I've been using Nod32 for years without problems and have loved it. I've been using the home version 3.0 for a few days now before this error. I currently don't have antivirus protection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jona

Jona Registered Member

Looking a little further into this I found what could be the problem. After reinstalling Nod32 I went into advanced set up to the tree for "Web access protection" to "HTTP" then to "Web Browsers" and found 4 programs listed there. The problem I saw was that none of the programs listed there were actually web browsers at all. Listed there is Quick Books Update, Java Runtime, Outlook Express, and Windows Live Mail. This is weird because I have another XP machine running the same version of Nod32 and listed there is only one program, Internet Explorer, a web browser. If I uncheck the default checkmark in the box for Outlook Express the problem goes away--I can once again access my POP3 messages on the problem machine. Nod32 allows you to add web browsers in there so I added Internet Explorer and Firefox, checked those boxes and unchecked all the rest. Isn't this the way it supposed to be? Feedback please.

3. Jona

Jona Registered Member

Delving into this problem further, I've learned some more about the settings of Nod32. If Outlook Express is checked as an email client under POP3 under Email Protection in Advanced Set Up then the same error message in the post above will occur and messages will not be downloaded from the POP3 server. So, Outlook Express can't be checked under POP3 or under Web Browsers. Unchecking it in both places takes care of the error. However, if OE is unchecked in these places then Nod32 has to be integrated into Outlook Express, otherwise Nod32 will not scan messages coming through OE. Integration with OE is a default choice under Miscellaneous in Advance Set Up when the program is installed. I found that this applies also to the beta version 4. Hope it can help someone besides me.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.