Outgoing E-Mail Scanning?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I need opinions. Is it a added plus for an antivirus to have outgoing e-mail scanning? Should outgoing e-mail scanning be high, medium, low on the list when shopping for an antivirus product? Would you consider outgoing e-mail scanning to be that little extra security blanket?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well the most important is inbound checking since majority of worms come from outer source. Yes,outbound scanning is a major plus IMO.
    This way you can be at least 90% sure that you're not the source of infection.
    avast! Antivirus for example even checks mail sending frequency and warns you if its exceeded (this is usually caused by mass mailing worms).
    It also checks all outbound mail with signatures and special mail heuristics.
    I think no other antivirus use mail structure and attachement structure checking methods.

These antiviruses also check outbound mail (i'm sure because i tested them thoroughly):
    Norton,avast! and Pc-cillin

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't use the Outgoing scanning because I don't think that is necessary, and save some resources and speed...

Normally, when you sent an email with virus, the active scanner should detect it, and block it, like happens in NOD32...

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well not exactly. Resident Shield (and many other antiviruses) do not handle archives in real-time. But mail scanner does (it checks all known archives).
    So here is difference. Or if you just forward some attachement which is inside archive.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know that, but I know if the files or archives that I use, are or not infected, so...

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't use outbound scanning cause I need SPEED (56K line). If an email looks suspicious in my INBOX, then I will do a detailed manual scan.

7. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I think I'm leaning towards the an AV with outgoing e-mail scanning. Makes me feel a little more secure.[​IMG]

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

The way I look at it is this:

As I compose the e-mail, I'm secure knowing my system has been scanned with a regular on-demand scan once a week, and all incoming internet/e-mail traffic is scanned by IMON between manual scans.

If NOD hasn't caught anything on the system up to that point, it's pointless (IMO) to trot another scan out to "really, really, cross-my-heart-hope to-die-hereby-certify" that my e-mail, is--in fact--clean.

;)

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

You have a great way with words. :D :D I do agree with you.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But in avast! case its not the same. Mail heuristics are totally different than normal Win32 heuristics. They check mail structure,attachement structure,outbound mail sending frequency and other things that were never ever checked by any Real-Time scan part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.