Out of space for incremental backups?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by BJosephs, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJosephs

BJosephs Registered Member

Hi all. I am running HDM 12 with a scheduled incremental backup nightly, to a 2 TB external hard drive. My base archive was a full c:\ backup, topping out at some 240 GB. Fine. Now, my understanding is that the incremental backup should be at most slightly larger than that, and that the incremental archive would grow dynamically.
    However, after a few weeks, I noticed that all 2 TB maxed out--on further inspection, the incremental archive contains a daily "DIFF" folder somewhere between 25-35 GB, plus some other kind of arc file at around 4.5 GB.
    I double checked the script and indeed it should be an incremental, not differential backup.
    Something is obviously wrong here - any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

could you please post the attached scripts so I can take a look at them or simply PM them so I can read over them to verify which backup you are currently using, and just to clarify which version of HDM are you using? suite or pro?

3. BJosephs

Thanks for your speedy reply.
    I am using the following version:
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager™, version 10.1.19.15808 (08.06.12 ) Suite

Attached Files:

4. Paragon_Matt

OK, just to clarify the Hard Disk Manager Suite 12 does not include the image level incrimental, it includes only image level differenetials, the script you included was for a incremental file level backup, however I am not sure if that is what you were originally intending.

5. BJosephs

Got it. But, to my knowledge, the base archive was an image level backup. Does that mean that HDM 12 actually treated it as a differential? That would explain the heavy space usage.
    If so, if I understand correctly, I can delete all but the last differential archive. Is this correct?

6. Paragon_Matt

Yes that does sound correct the incremental that exists in the suite is for file level only, and it does sound like you are performing differentials if it is image level. Please just be cautious I wouldn't want you to not have a backup. If possible start another image level backup on another drive if you have that option first so you have all of your data.

7. BJosephs

Hmmm... these files are taking up a full 2 TB!
    Is there any way that I can tell from the base archive properties if it's a file-level or sector-level backup?
    Also, if the "incremental" archives are in folders that begin with "DIFF" isn't that sufficient proof that these are differential?

8. Paragon_Matt

DIFF refers to differential images, FLxxxxxx with the type of folder designation would be file level.

9. BJosephs

Well, then I guess it's pretty clear that the original archive is a sector-level image of the partition, with the so-called "incremental" archives in reality being differential.
    I suppose the ultimate way to test would be to delete all but the base and LAST DIFF archive, reformat my C:\ drive and try to reinstall with the images :doubt:
    Thanks for your help!

10. Paragon_Matt

If you are going to do that restore it to another drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.