Other measures

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by toploader, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

as well as software i'm gradually finding other ways of checking security.

rogue diallers - i've installed BT's modem protection - it seems to be working ok but does tend to throw up a false positive from time to time. obviously you can only use this if you are in Britain and have a dial up connection from a BT phone line.

i also check my bill online regularly to check that no suspicious amounts have crept in.

online security - as i use the internet quite a bit to check bank accounts and buy stuff i now occasionally ring up my bank and credit card company and ask them to look at my account for any suspicious items. my bank can tell me when i last accessed their site which is another useful check to ensure no one has gotten my password and logged in.

anyone else got any tips?

2. WinAntiVirus_Guy

WinAntiVirus_Guy Registered Member

I think it would be better to install antivirus and firewall on your computer.

You know - somebody may run some process on your computer (it may be somebody who come to you, or some remote connect.. also you can get it by downloading some file or browsing sites)
    Firewall wil surelly lock all outgoing and incoming connections on your computer and prevent private data loss.

Antivirus test your system on some changes (Instant Scan - scanning all activity on your computer, file changes or other activities)

3. toploader

i agree with you win - what i'm listing here is additional simple measures one can take to enhance their security. first line of defence will always be anti-virus/firewall.

4. dirtywoofer

dirtywoofer Guest

5. toploader

thanks for the link DW - i wonder how good it is at detecting suspicious activity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.