OS Selector screws things up ?!

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by nojetlag, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nojetlag

nojetlag Registered Member

I got DD9 because I saw advantages over Partition Magic 8 and since I don't like Symantec (cause the did cost me plenty of time in the past with their bugs). Well I have a machine with 2 HDs, on the first HD 1 set up 2 XP partitions and one Win2003 partition. Now I installed DD9 on the Win2003 partition and did activate the OS Selector. Turns out that this was a really really bad idea. I get all three Partitions on the selector, but only the Win2003 I can boot into. Both XP Partitions are screwed. They show the XP Boot screen until it gets blue and a message "autochk program not found" comes on. After that it reboots. On both XP Partitions the same :(

Looking into the setting for these partition in OS Selector I see that the Win2003 partition is set as C: and the XP Partitions are mentioned as bootable but active & hidden are activated.

What really makes me angry is that after turning of OS Selector the XP Partitions are still screwed.

How can I fix them again ? And is OS Selector Beta ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. McTavish

McTavish Registered Member

It sounds like OS selector has hidden your XP partitions. Have a look with Partition Magic or whatever partitioning tool you use and see if you can unhide them.

What bootmanager were you using before you tried OS Selector? Was it Window’s own bootloader – the ntloader? If so I can see why OSS would not work.

If just unhiding the partitions does not do it then I’ll need to know the current details of your partitions. Can you post a screen shot of your partition map, or at least the details of the partitions your tool gives?

4. Speedo

Speedo Guest

Hello Acronis Support,

I've made the same experience as nojetlag did, since I use DD9, my second XP partition (on first of two HD's) does not boot, theres the message: autochk program not found". I tried to copy autochk into the partition, but it was still there, and fixmbr did not fix the problem. Seems to be a bug in DD9 ?

How can I fix this problem?

5. Acronis Support

6. yuryk

yuryk Guest

Had similar issue, after uninstalling OS selector XP system wont boot giving error "autochk program not found" and restaring. After investigating found out that partition became 'hidden' and thus system won't boot.

Got this resolved afrer changing partition type from hidden to regular. I made it with partition manager:
    http://www.brothersoft.com/Utilities_File_Management_Partition_Manager_4272.html
    (you need to know which partition type to set, i changed it from 1C to 0C and it worked)

Hope this helps.

7. verity

verity Guest

I am very frustrated. I don't have any other OS on my system, and now I can't boot XP any more. (I'm posting this from another computer.) I am very very sorry I experimented with Acronis. I certainly shan't be buying it.

8. Acronis Support

Hello verity,

Thank you for using Acronis software (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please try to do the following:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

This should allow you to boot into Windows XP.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.