OS Selector Problems: Is there an answer or not?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by KentWolf, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KentWolf

KentWolf Registered Member

I just bought Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 and Acronis True Image 8.0.

All seems to work just fine except for the Acronis OS Selector.

I have used PowerQuest BootMagic as well as System Commander for years without a single problem ever, but now Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 OS Selector has serious issues right out of the box. I primarily bought the Acronis products because I read in a software review that, with minor exceptions, they, Acronis, “get it right the first time.” That has definitely not been my experience with the Acronis OS Selector.

I am reasonably proficient with this kind of thing, but Acronis OS Selector just doesn’t seem to work. It’s definitely not as simple as it purports, (or else I wouldn’t be here). Some help would be appreciated.

Setup:

My dual boot drive has:

1.) Small Primary Partition for the OS Selector (“First Partition”, 47 MB, Primary)
    2.) Large, Main Windows XP OS Partition (“Second Partition”, 100 GB, Primary)
    3.) Small, Video Capture, stripped down Windows XP OS Partition (“Third Partition”, 14.5 GB, Primary)

That’s it. I have/run several other drives, but they are not part of this issue.

Steps I took:

1.) I uninstalled PowerQuest BootMagic from my “First Partition” (47 MB).

2.) Installed Acronis OS Selector in that “First Partition” (47 MB).

When I tried to boot to my “Second Partition” (100 GB) all is fine.

When I try to boot to my “Third Partition” (14.5 GB) I get the aforementioned “autochk program not found” message, then the whole computer reboots. This is repeatable. Whenever I try to boot to my “Third Partition” (14.5 GB) it just won’t do it. After the “starting Windows XP Professional” screen, I just get the “autochk program not found” message, then a reboot.

I subsequently UN-installed the Acronis OS Selector. Now, all I could do was boot to my “Third Partition” (14.5 GB, the one to which I couldn’t boot to before.) This is really crazy.

After *much* trouble, I finally was able to re-set up my BootMagic OS Selector again, and all is now fine.

I would like to update to something newer like the Acronis OS Selector, but it simply doesn’t work. I can see where people less familiar with this kind of thing could lock themselves out of their main partition. Fortunately I have a lot of backups.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. It may be beneficial to do this exchange in this forum so as to help others. To date, I have not seen any definitive answers to this issue.

Thanks.

Note: I already sent a system report to support@acronis.com.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  2. Claude Troncy

Claude Troncy Registered Member

Bonjour,
    I have just bought the software in France through "Micro Application" distributer, and as I have exactly the same configuration as you I have also the same problem.

Their hotline told me that the problem was due to the previous boot magic installation and suggest to reinstall the different XP on each partition, it is suppose to cure the problem.
    I will wait the answer from Acronis to see if it is necessary.
    Best regards
    Claude

3. Claude Troncy

Claude Troncy Registered Member

Hello,
    I have found a solution which works for me

1 Uninstall OS selector
    2 Reboot
    3 With PM or something else makes all the partition visible
    4 Reboot and install again os selector

I thing the problem with "autochk program not found" was due to the fact that the boot os partition was hidden.

Best regards
    Bonsoir
    Claude

4. KentWolf

KentWolf Registered Member

Thank you, guys.

I will give it a try.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.