Order YOUR FREE XP SP2 Update CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hayc59, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Thank you for your interest in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Microsoft will ship the CD to you free of charge. This CD includes the same Service Pack 2 software that is available for download from Windows Update.
    System Requirements
    To install Windows XP Service Pack 2 via CD, you need:
    *A PC with Windows XP Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or *Tablet PC Edition installed
    *233-megahertz or higher processor
    *64 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher
    *900 MB of available hard disk space during installation
    *CD-ROM drive
    <<MORE INFO>>

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Thanks hayc.....

I was wondering if one was going to come out, as I heard it's over 200Mb and thought I could be a "tad" while downloading via WU on dialup. :p

Cheers, TAS

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I will wait for microsoft to issue the XP SP2 Final Release. Then i'll get it directly from Windows Update. I'm not ordering the CD.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I thought I'd be an early bird and order one now, however, I got an error message and then looking closely, it appears it's not available just yet.

Check the dates, August 25 for the English version.

TAS

Attached Files:

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will make the CD...

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I haven't looked at the site itself yet -- but given the dates involved, can we safely assume the CD will be Final Release? Admittedly it'll probably be like SP1, tons of critical updates to fix bugs in it for quite a while afterwards.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

God! your hoping Mike, when did M$ EVER release ANYTHING that was THE FINAL release....free of Bugs, Updates, Downdates, Fixes, Foxes, A-Whistling Dixies.....let us, the poor suffering Public, not assume that this SP2 (and I use the term loosely) be any different from all the other none events that have been thrust upon us by someone who shall be nameless but who should really kiss the ground we all walk upon.... :D :D

Cochise, :cool: ;) (Newbie XP User for 2 Weeks now)

8. MikeBCda

Hi Cochise,

I only meant that SP2 is currently still only in the RC (release candidate) stage, and even MS feels (and publicly says) it's not quite done and should be treated as more or less beta until the "Gold" (or whatever) official-final release later this month in English, and the first half of Sept. in other language versions. I just wondered if the CD's supposed to be what MS considers final, as opposed to simply RC.

And sure, I take for granted there'll be tons of critical upgrades to follow, just like there were with SP1.

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Just got to ask you this Mike, my Friend, Why no Firewall??......Do you know something I would like to know? :D........How do you you protect your 'Rear'..so to speak? ;)

Regards, Cochise, :D

10. MikeBCda

Probably should just drop that part from my sig, shouldn't I? All it does is raise questions. ;)

I've tried quite a few different ones, and didn't like any of them. They're all pretty good (other than of course XP's own) with outgoing stuff, i.e. programs trying to access the net, but I haven't yet found one that could handle "on-the-fly" control of incoming stuff, tell what's coming from where, ask permission and if desired remember your answer, the way outgoing-control usually works. Invariably you have to create by hand a "catalog" of what's acceptable and what isn't.

ZA, even with Internet turned down to medium, was giving me alerts every few seconds, and my top-notch ISP and my OEM-shop both agree that's essentially just internet "noise". They also agreed that given my other forms of protection (including the ISP's own), a firewall is probably to some extent overkill for me -- obviously I lose a little protection without one, but not what they consider a critical part.

And they're not exactly amateurs -- one of their "sister" companies is directly involved in internet security, under gummint contract, and was the very first outfit in the US or Canada to report suspicious internet activity to federal officials in the early post-9/11 days.

Best,
    Mike

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Yep!....I can go along with that Mike.....just wondered that's all.....personally I use the ol' Agnitum Outpost and upto now it's done me proud....(I think) :D

Regards, Cochise, :cool:

12. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

some in canada and the U.S. have been able to order the CD - i could not even find the Order form let alone order it. o_O could you pls. post the link to the order page. thanks. :-*

13. MikeBCda

No need to worry about error messages -- I see they've changed that page since hayc first posted the link. Instead of the list of release dates for the various language versions and the Order button, there's now simply a "Check back later this summer" message.

Hopefully they'll get their act together again, or as "together" as MS ever manages. 300-plus-megs is out of the question for a download via dialup, and my OEM dealer says he's never yet seen SP CD's come his way for any Win version yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.