Option to set specified number of incremental or differential backups has disappeared

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by engine_oil, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engine_oil

engine_oil Registered Member

Hi,

Acronis True Image 11 Home build 11.8101

When I first bought this software all was great. However, since recently trying to create a new schedule for incremental backups the page in the Task Wizard to define the number of inc / diffs no longer appears. It asks what type of backup I want and then misses out the specification page.

When I look at (edit) the existing old task, the specification page is there in all its beauty.

Am I missing something really obvious? :oops:

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Are you backing up to a Backup Location as described in the User Guide or just to the directory with the same name?

3. engine_oil

Thanks shieber - your thinking is good - as I have now discovered that in the task wizard, when browsing to the proposed archive location, it is necessary to browse to the "Backup Locations" rather than directly to the folder through the tree structure. This will then give the Backup Policy page that allows setting of the number of Incremental or Differential backups.

However, I still cannot get the Backup Policy page if I select the Acronis Secure Zone in which to save the backups, which is where I actually want the backup to be stored.

Is it possible to set the number of incs/diffs when saving to the Secure Zone?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello engine_oil,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image 11 Home!

The only operations applied to the Acronis Secure Zone are create, resize or delete.

I would like to quote the User Guide:

"The Acronis Secure Zone is available as a location to store backup files as long as there is
    free space in the Zone. If there is not enough space, older backups will be deleted to create
    free space.
    Acronis True Image Home uses the following approach to clean up Acronis Secure Zone:
    • If there is not enough free space in the zone to create a backup, the program deletes the
    oldest full backup with all subsequent incremental/differential backups.
    • If there is only one full backup (with subsequent incremental/differential backups) left
    and a full backup is in progress, then the old full backup and incremental/differential
    backups are deleted.
    • If you are in the process of creating an image and there is not enough free space, you
    will get an error message. In that case, you will have to increase the size of the Acronis
    Secure Zone and then run the backup operation again."

So, you can not set the number of incs/diffs backups when saving to the Acronis Secure Zone and you needn't doing it.

Thank you.
    Daniel Pustovoy

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Skip the SZ and just use Backup Locations; that's my recommendation. You'll find more versatility. If you need to especially secure your backups, then put them on an external drive and keep that drive in a secure place -- this is gernally a good part of any backup protocol if you can't afford to lose the image or risk intrusion or theft of the content.

6. engine_oil

I now have the specified number of incremantals in a regular Acronis Backup Location on an external HD, as you suggest. Many thanks :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.