Option : dont' show RED sockets !

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Czerno, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Czerno

Czerno Guest

Hi !
    Something I found a little annoying with PE, you can't seem to blacken the red sockets, if ya see what I mean ! the majority if not ALL of the sockets on my machine were shown in red ("hidden") though I knew them to be legit - I would've appreciated a way to tell PE : DON'T show "hidden" sockets RED . It's tiring the eye. Maybe there's such an option which I didn't see ? Otherwise it would be a useful if "cosmetic" fix to do !

FWiW

--
    Czerno <czernobyl AT mail DOT ru>

~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2004
  2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, you can change the colors?
    And the registered Port Explorer version can use a pack of custom settings, you might like to use.
    You can set the dead sockets to show 1 second, the hidden sockets i would like to be able to see all time, i would think something is missing if i would miss those --are they running? no icon for some of them, so rather show them to me-- white hidden sockets on a white background or lightgreyish, so the contrast is not that big, be creative :)
    if you make the background less white it is also nicer for eyes, some light greyish or sandy , create your own beach theme setting, anything that suits you better.
    Anyway, i'm sure you'll find a color setting you like!

It's in Port Explorer > View > Colors and there you can customize any color you like!
    We had no contest yes, maybe people like to show some nice little screenshots of their favorite combinations :) (the results, not the settings)

3. Czerno

Czerno Guest

Dear Jooske, the reason many sockets are classified "hidden" by PE is when their controlling app shows no window except as part of the "systray". Till now PE is not able to associate a socket with an app that runs as an icon in systray. For me, all or almost all the sockets fall under that class !

As a workaround, that would render the "hidden" socket detection more useful, one would like to be able to tell PE : do NOT show as "hidden" any sockets created by app such and such.

Cheers

--
    Czerno

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Click systray icon to enlarge window and they're back black. :)
    I was already happy to not see the netstat sockets if i don't want them -- and since i want to see all i keep them up, so you want another selective show not show on application level.
    Let's see what Jason thinks of that.

Not sure if that could give another security risk, if a trojan process would include a setting to switch off their visibility even more then hidden already.

5. Czerno

Czerno Guest

"so you want another selective show not show on application level...."

Not ! I only found the color red fatigating me for little reason. Following your advice, I changed from red to brownish - and that's it !

Cheers

--
    Czerno

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

White on a white background would make them invisible, but i don't like white backgrounds :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.