Opinions On G-Data 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

It's almost clean, everything else is running normal.
    I'm back with Avast IS 5 , running great :)

2. epigraph

epigraph Registered Member

This problem happens in the 2010 version, too. That's why I stopped using its firewall. There's no change in the firewall in the 2011 version, so the problem will happen in the 2011 version as well.

This problem may be a conflict between the FW and some p2p software IMO.

3. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Glad that someone else have noticed the same issue.
    I was using P2P software, you could be right, altough I really couldn't pinpoint source of problems.
    But it's most likely firewall because with standalone AV I didn't have that problem.

4. zord

zord Registered Member

clear system windows xp sp3

sshot-19.png

clear system windows xp sp3 + G Data AntiVirus 2011

sshot-20.png

OMG this program needs the memory over 320 megabytes :eek:

5. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

As far as I know it is gone. It was never really utilized very well. Ford Perfect was the biggest help. Even UIS seemed to fall away and it was their forum. Too bad. Good program we just need some timely assistance from GData.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Woh that is quite high.:eek:

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am amazed at how G-Data performs. I have never really given G-Data a shot. Just tested it and it even beat Avira against 50 zero-day malware samples (I do know this is a small amount of samples, but still...). It did however not beat the good old Prevx when using the methodology 'detection upon execution'. I do however think G-Data 2011 combined with Prevx will provide a stunning 'near 100% protection'. G-Data Antivirus is a bargain when it comes to cheapness. It's even cheaper than Avira! Thumbs up for this one! :thumb: Personally, I think it's too bad my current netbook can't take anyother security program. I'll stick to Prevx.

P.S. I bet G-Data will be top-2 in the up-coming retrospective test on AV-comparatives.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. fasteddy2020

I have been using this combo for a year and they work great together. I recommend it, but I am no expert.

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Thanks for the update Fast Teddy...shame about Ultimate...but they probably got frustrated with having to deal with head office...and it's indifference in having to deal with it's N.American clientele...Matt Baker and Nick were usually responsive in dealing with users at the Forum...but Ultimate's Website is very bland and one dimensional...not really effective from a marketing and advertising perspective. I think Ultimate might have been a casualty of the recession in the U.K. and is probably being kept afloat by some silent business partnership arrangement. Note, this is just speculation on my part,but it seems strange to suspend an active forum without informing it's paying membership and at not informing it's membership of the reasoning of it's decision in doing so. Sincerely...Securon

10. fasteddy2020

Securon, Ford Perfect mentioned in another thread here that GData is revamping their international support very soon to help the North American customers. Let's hope this is true.

UIS hasn't even updated their site yet with the 2011 versions. I was going to extend my license through them but the 25 month offer straight from GData was way too good to pass up. For whatever reason they have me hooked, good or bad. I don't really know what I would have switched to. I am like trjam and have a lot of licenses for a lot of products except I stuck with GData and Prevx. No disrespect to trjam whatsoever. I just can't give up GData (or Prevx).

11. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes GData 2011 behaviour blocker seems to be very good.
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8f-cQeHHZI-

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  12. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

The repeated av-comparative score marks and VB RAP tests got my attention. To the point that I had to try it.. I've been trying it for a month, and then decided to order 3 licenses. The machine I'm typing on only has 2 GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium with a Celeron in it.. Runs like there is no antivirus installed.

The detection rates are stellar, and a lot of infected sites are blocked from access before even getting prompted to download the file. I would say that memory management, and CPU usage is very minimal. My only complaints would be the scanning time is average at best. I had some initial problems with all my clients updating automatically. I had to do manual updates, and exchange ownership over to the other PCs but I talked to GDATA via email, and now it seems to be straightened out.

The Behaviour monitor thinks a game I executed off from xfire is a virus, and blocks it.. The dialogue box asks me what action to take, I tell it to always permit, and it continues to prompt me everytime regardless of the fact that I told it not too. I also made exceptions over the folder, and even down to the file level in the exceptions list in the behavior guardian and it still stops it/blocks it. I submitted this problem, and they are looking into it (Two days).

I am getting tons of updates throughout the day.. It checks every hour, and almost every two hours I'm getting updates compared to other vendors getting me 3 a day.. I'd say around 10-15 updates a day which is nice. Overall their American website needs work.. It's a simple interface, lacks a lot of additional settings I'm used to coming from ESET NOD32 which I still think is great. It seems with GData everything is set and ready to go.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice small review, yeah G-Data is pretty much set and forget xD

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have 6 licences for G-Data that are not, nor are they, going to be used. Does that tell you something.:cautious:

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Trjam, did you ever receive a chance from G-Data to reimburse you for the licenses...or is it the usual run around from their Stellar Service Dept. I'm having second and third thoughts about ever renewing the product with them. Unless they establish a North American Presence it's bye bye and Hello Avira. Sincerely...Securon

16. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I believe it is an average AV at a competitive price.

17. icr

icr Registered Member

Mann 6 licenses:eek: How many desktops/lappie you have at home?

18. icr

icr Registered Member

The latest version doesn't make it an average though(Even the previous version wasn't). Even I am tempted in trying this product:p

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2-3 user licences. Support is better and 2011 to me is only different then 2010 due to a more enhanced BB module. Even with 2011 I saw the frequent CPU spikes for no reason. It isa good AV, but I prefer my sig.

20. sylreston

sylreston Registered Member

When I have Gsata 2011 running, my downloads all seem to arrive corrupyed. Any one else seeing this. With Gdata the downloads were fine.

I am using winpatrol and Outpost 7 FW. Avira when Gdata is not installed.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jeff,
    Do you mean it wasn't really Avira forever and ever?:D

Regards,
    Jerry

22. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

icr, let me clarify. I do not mean average in terms of detection and I do not care so much how various AVs score in the tests, because I believe that these tests do not really reflect the risks that everyday users are facing.

I meant that G-Data is an old school AV, with limited customization, basic features, few options and average interface. The 40 USD price for 3 PCs for the G Data InternetSecurity 2011, is very competitive, however as a security suite it cannot be compared with kaspersky for example, which offers apart from the AV and the FW excellent hips protection, dedicated support forum and a wealth of customization and features.

23. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

To be honest I think GData's interface is one of the best available, together with like MSE and ESET. Clean, sleek and a feel of quality, in contrary to the Kaspersky GUI (which is not clean).
    Also with 2011 GData added the behavior blocker which actually really WORKS, in contrary to avast! and Avira. So they realise that their super heavy two engine/double signatures strategy isn't enough. And since that blocker works G Data is really making progress, more than let's say Avira, BitDefender, McAfee. But it is true that Kaspersky offers a great suite, but I would say that the standalone antivirus of GData will offer better protection then the Kaspersky AntiVirus.
    Next to that GData ore of focuses on people who don't need that many options, they want to keep it simple; just like for example Norton.
    Also GData is like you said really one of the cheapest in the business.
    But it is still heavy and slow, although that also improved.

24. fasteddy2020

There is no doubt that GData has a HUGE installer and programs work differently on each individual's setup differently but I have not had any problems whatsoever with GDATA IS2011 and I was ready for them.

Also, after the initial scan, the scan times drop dramatically and are really unobtrusive when running. I find it rather light even in a 6 year old Celeron 1.4 laptop. Last weekend I tried PCAV on the laptop for about 1 hour and went back to GData IS2011. PCAV locked up the laptop for whatever reason and would not even complete a scan.

The GUI takes a bit of getting used to but is quite customizable. There is not nearly as much as with KIS but that can become overwhelming to the average user. Of all the programs I have current licenses for (and there is a bunch), I keep going back to GData.

Gdata IS2011 and Prevx, in my opinion, are a great combo and work well for my setups.

25. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Matthijs5nl, your opinion is respected. If you like a simple interface without the sandbox and some other functions that other suites offer and you don't mind that it is a bit heavy, then you would be happy with G-Data.

Many different security products exist for hundreds of millions of users who pay for their antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.