opinions of the Belkin Pre-N

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by feverfive, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

Sorry to hijack this thread (again), but does anyone have opinions of the Belkin Pre-N, model no. F5D8230-4? I'm beginning to change my mind about whether to try wireless--my machine is actually a 17" notebook that I use as a desktop replacement. It has the (unfortunately) crappy Intel wireless card (part of the Centrino package). Anyhow, I am going to give wireless a try, & am wondering if there are any particular caveats to the security aspects of this router? I've read reviews which were all pretty much positive....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id stick to a normal 802.11g router until the n specification becomes ratified. i have had no experience with it tho or any other router as a matter of fact.

3. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

4. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I have both a Belkin pre-N pcmcia card for my notebook and a Belkin pre-n router. I got the notebook card 1st (also as a replacement for my Intel mini pc card that was built into my notebook). I made the switch because I couldn't receive a consistent signal in my office in the basement from the router which was up in my wife's office on the 2nd floor. I found it solved my problem (I always got a very good signal). I have had no trouble with the card. Then I got a Belkin pre-N router. The reason for this is that when I took my computer into our backyard, I had a hard time getting a consistent signal from my 802.11g router. The new pre-N router solved that problem. I have had no problems with it either.

5. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

Thanks all. @Doug6949: thanks for the link, looks like I'll go w/ Linksys...

6. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I have been using the Pre-N wireless for a few months now. I am running AES encryption and so far so good. Speeds seem much better then the other 802.1g's I have been using.

From what I read we are pretty far off of a faster standard, so for me it was worth it. I will buy a better standard when the next best comes out.

7. vtorch

vtorch Registered Member

If you are getting the Pre-N router, just make sure you get Version 2.

Some places still sell Version 1. You can check to see which version by looking at the bottom of the box where the UPC code is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.