Opinions about Digital Patrol 4.0!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Firefighter, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Hi everyone! For me, as I think most of you, it was a big surprise, when Digital Patrol 4.0 won that VirusP 5-2003 AT-test, where 12 AT scanners checked totally 8 943 trojans and backdoors from either Kaspersky's, McAfee's, RAV's or F-Prot's database! It was capable to beat even TDS 3, when the detection rates were 73.42% against 55.17% in trojans and backdoors!

So can anyone tell more about that Digital Patrol 4.0?

Second issue is that where is the "skeleton" in this kind of comparison, when TDS 3 was beaten so clearly? o_O

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Ph33r_

Ph33r_ Guest

Hey

Best thing to-do is Download/Install/Update and Configure and see for yourself... I tested it the other week and it was quite okay. ;)

3. Well, first of all, parts of it's interface look like Avast! or Avast! Pro...

2ndly, it can't seem to make up it's mind if it's a dedicated trojan scanner or Anti Virus.. so I would be afraid to install this in anticipation of conflicts...

3rdly, boy, Firefighter, you REALLY have a thing for TDS and NOD32 LOL, don't you? :D

4. Firefighter

To Straight Shooter from Firefighter!

First of all, I don't think Digital Patrol 4 is from Chech Republic origin, because on their website was a link to a russian website, but unfortunately I can't read russian!

Secondly, do I have something against TDS 3 or NOD32? Absolutely not, they are only PC programs as I remember right, nothing else! But you said it, not me!

Aaah, yes, a joke again! But seriously, I don't have any "holy cow" in my backyard! I'll replace my AV or AT to different ones, when it feels so to me!

To this issue a bit more. You said yesterday to Adiel on the Other Anti-Virus Sofware Forum here at Wilders: "Are you trying to get us not to buy NOD32? On it's own forum??  ROFL!"

I got you, that wasn't so independent forum, although there is such kind of name!!!

After all, no hard feelings! I'm going to show only some kind of different tests, as you surely know that! :D

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

5. root

root Registered Member

Please, let's stay focused on the topic. ;)
    I and many others here are not die hard NOD32 fans. Human nature is such that people tend to defend their choice of products, and there are a lot of NOD32 users here. There is also a good mix of people that like other products and people that are looking.
    I have not tried Digital Patrol so I will refrain from any comments on it, per se.
    I would like to discuss the impact this one test site and VirusP seem to be having at the moment. I will not criticise the test or the tester since I do not have any information to verify or refute his findings. I will take the position that this is one test site out of many. Some of the results correspond quite well with other major testing facilities. Some results seem surprising, mostly in the area of trojan testing. Pardon me if I state the obvious.
    I have long had a policy of trying to keep up with the results of comparison tests at most of the better known test sites. By watching the results over a period of time, I can get an idea of what AVs and ATs consistantly perform in the top 5 or 6 spots.
    Lets face it. There are so many variables involved in these tests, from site to site, that it is impossible to say any one test gives a 100% accurate picture of what product should be judged "best in class".
    So, to address your initial post FF, I think I will wait a bit and see if Digital Patrol shows some merit in other tests. I fear there is a serious lack of dedicated anti trojan testing facilities such as the anti virus programs have. I really wish a few sites would begin doing some serious tests dedicated solely to ATs.
    I do commend VirusP for the hard work he is putting into his testing of AVs and ATs. I am not qualified to judge the specifics of his test base or testing procedures, so I will leave that to those that are qualified.
    I am always interested in being enlightened. :D

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

As far as I know DP includes very many BAT JS VBS and many other script types which are not included for TDS - they are easily handled by Wormguard, and of course blocked with no need for on demand scanning capabilities.

TDS-4 already has detection for a large number of these, and many more will be included when released :D

Having said that of course, I think TDS-3 is a better tool for RAT protection, being directly targeted at them, with more generic detection and more variants of backdoors (and more detection methods making it harder to bypass). I have played with DP some time back which did miss some variants.. but it DOES have a lot of good ITW detection.

7. Firefighter

To Root and Gavin / DiamondCS from Firefighter!

I agree almost 100% with you Root! The only difference in my thinking with AT issue is that, I'm gonna follow those best 3 or some AT:s in the future, because there are not so many AT:s left anymore, which have a good daily support.

And to Gavin. You said just that I wanted to know just now. When you said: "TDS-4 already has detection for a large number of these...many BAT JS VBS and many other script types... as far as I know DP includes", after that I think TDS is getting very serious competitor from this Digital Patrol. There is one plus to Digital Patrol too, they mentioned on their website that Digital Patrol has Daily Updates!

Personally, I think the safest choise is just now of course TDS 3, but you can't never be sure about that in the near future! :D

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

TDS has daily updates :D
    Sometimes more than one.. not very often needed though ;)

But now I fade off into the internet.. this is DP thread.. :)

9. controler

controler Guest

Digital Patrol:

Works pretty good but it has a glitch on my XP system.

If I do a scan of nasties, it shows which ones it detects in the Drive window but fails to show them in the statistics window.
    On my system I fed it 4 trojans, and it found them but shows Zero
    found in statistics.
    I am using the trial however , which does not check archived but soes check packed.

10. Firefighter

To Controler from Firefighter!

Have you had any conflicts with you resident antivirus scanner? :rolleyes:

When Technodrome said that Digital Patrol is actually some russian anti-virus, called STOP, I was a bit of worried to use it with both ( = my F-secure too) resident scanners running. o_O

Because Technodrome is one of the last persons I'm gonna to argue with something, so I don't know now what to do with DP! :D

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

11. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Wording part I assume.
    KAV is Antivirus but we all know that Kaspersky ANTIVIRUS is a bad ass trojan scanner( virus scanner too). DrWeb too. Maybe UNA (Ukraine National Antivirus ) too.
    Hey, FF you should check that one too...LOL! ;) http://www.unasoft.com.ua/eng/products1.html

Rent it to your neighbor. LOL. That’s what I do. ;) Oppss copyrights... :cool:

Technodrome

12. xor

xor Guest

Yes i can confirm this - we have partnership :D

13. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

:D

Really?

Terchnodrome

14. Firefighter

To Technodrome from Firefighter!

Don't worry! My copy of DP is only a trial, I have used a moment both DP's and F-secure's resident scanners on without problems, but is it possible that those problems can occure later? o_O :D

By the way, DP 4.10 supports English, German, Russian, Bulgarian and Ukraine languages! :rolleyes:

DP 4.10 is 4 552 kb and Stop 4.10 is 4 571 kb, how Stop can be larger, if it is only russian version? o_O

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

15. Firefighter

To Technodrome from Firefighter!

Thanks a lot for an interesting hint! I'll recommend UNA just now to the Board of Inland Revenue in Finland for secure better their important tax data! :D :D :D

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.