Opera Widget for direct Java, Javascript, Plugins site preferences control?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Devinco, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Opera has built in a NoScript(Firefox extension) type of whitelist with its edit site preferences. You can disable Java, Javascript, and Plugins globally in preferences and then enable them individually for each site by right clicking the page, edit site preferences, content tab, enable Java and Plugins, Scripting Tab, enable Javascript, click OK.

Is there a widget that allows you to simply click on a small button (or three independent buttons) to enable Java, Javascript, and Plugins in the edit site preferences? This would make it equal to NoScript in security and usability.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not for individual sites, but for global settings, u can use buttons for cookies, java, etc( can be downloaded).
    I simply use F12 to edit site prefereces and regularly make a backup for these from Opera Profile.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it might not be even possible, when u disable java, widgets may not work properly.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Thank you Aigle.
    I looked into further because of your helpful reply.
    The widgets I tried, rely only on javascript being enabled.
    They don't need Java or plugins to be enabled.

This fact would basically kill the idea of a NoScript widget for Opera.
    Unless they create buttons for Javascript on a per site basis in future Opera versions.

I was able to use Macro Express (a macro automation program) to create a workaround. I made a macro to automate the process.
    I can simply press F10 (unused in Opera) to enable Javascript in site preferences and it refreshes the page. I made another macro that disables Javascript in site preferences and refreshes the page by pressing Ctrl+F10. It uses keyboard shortcuts to do the task.

Unfortunately, it requires Macro Express which is not free.
    You could probably do something similar with other keyboard/mouse automation programs as well.

I've tested it with Opera 9.00 and Opera 9.01 and it works very well. It is not as nice as a button, widget, or plugin would have been, but it provides similar usability to NoScript with just one keypress.
    Are there are any Macro Express users interested?
    If yes, I can post the simple source code for the macros.

The edit site preferences content tab is trickier so I could only make a toggle macro (on/off) for the Java (Win+F10) and another toggle macro for the Plugins (Alt+F10).
    This way Opera gives you independent site specific whitelist control of Javascript, Java, and Plugins (NoScript does not have independent whitelists). And it is all controlled from a keypress.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.