Opera Browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

A couple of years ago I tried Opera. I found it almost paralyzed IE and to a lesser extent FF. It took IE over 20 seconds to load as opposed with about 6-8 before and after Opera.

I notice some here use it, and am wondering how it is these days, and whether it adversely impacts FF and IE?

I don't really want to know bad IE is, but does Opera slow it down a lot?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Jerry,
    I use IE7 Pro, FF and Opera.
    IE opens in 3 seconds flat.
    Probably Opera is the safest 'out of the box' of the browsers, but I don't seem to be having any problems with any of them.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Hugger,
    I am considering trying Opera again. It is good to know that it runs well for you.
    I did not find it difficult to remove so I think I just might try it. Not sure why, as I am happy with FF.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Opera is tops with me.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Opera is my default-browser, but I can't wait for FF 3. One of my daughters prefers foxie since using it in ubuntu. So both browsers would get a lot of use, between 4 users. FF with IE-tab, and IE6 won't get it's "once monthly" anymore...

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Under that I have IE7, Opera 9.24, and Firefox 2.0.0.9. installed.

I never use IE7, hardly use Opera and would uninstall it if I needed the space or if it adversely affected the system, but I do not and it does not, so it stays for now, and I use Firefox daily.

The only advantage to Opera that I had found was the Speed Dial, but since finding the Speed Dial add-on to Firefox that advantage has been neutralized. I have that add-on configured for 5 rows of 7 columns, and it has practically replaced bookmarks for me in my usage.

See my website for the add-ons I use.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am missing the clue :doubt:

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Go ahead Jerry, throw in K-Meleon while your thought's are open. Variety expand's perspective. ;)

GF

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Back when I was trying to decide which browser to stay with, I was running FF, Opera and IE at the same time. During that time period I had a hell of a time keeping track of my bookmarks (favorites) between using the three browsers.o_O Reading this thread I see a few of you are running 3 browsers too. Are you doing it for the same reason as me or do you just use 3 for the fun of it? I finally went with FF as the main browser and IE for incoming e-mails and MS patches.

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I had IE, FF, and k-meleon just for the fun of it.. As long as disk space was not an issue, why not have 3 browsers? On my current linux system I have FF, Opera, and Dillo. Although I mainly use only FF and Opera, because Dillo's speed makes me dizzy. As far as bookmarks, I find it easy just to import my lists every now and then.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks All,
    I appreciate the responses, and it gives me some information to consider. I am not sure what Opera would add, but maybe I'll try it again just for the fun of it.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. AKAJohnDoe

Dense?

OK, the clue is that Opera does not adversely affect anything. It is just another application. If any application affects another it is the fault of the Operating System, not the application.

13. 19monty64

I must be dense too, 'cause all I saw in your response was a plug for your web-site with no insight into possible conflicts between 2 or 3 apps.

14. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Even before FFox's existence, i had use Opera in tandem with IE & i don't find anything that slowdown IE.

I had one machine running on IE7 & Opera for the last 10mths. It didn't create any slowdown on IE7 since. But practically speaking, i did use Opera more than IE's coz it's pretty safe and lite! My other choice would be FFox, safe coz it gots lot of safety-plugins to select from.

15. AKAJohnDoe

You probably are ;). Not intended as a "plug" at all; rather, simply tired of repeating everything over and over again, so I just wrote it down and point y'all to it. Take what you like and leave the rest.

16. 19monty64

Then just say it once...Opera shouldn't affect IE in any way. :p

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Opera is definitely my favourite browser at the moment and has never affected my other browsers. FF doesn't seem to be performing very well for me these days and i'm finding IE7 a bit buggy. I've taken a likeing to k-meleon, i just wish it had better development.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

I have all three running and Opera has never affected the functioning of the other two.

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

after many years with firefox i decided to try opera (recent) and i never looked back. firefox needs too much add-ons imo to make it the way i want. opera includes everything out of the box and is even faster than firefox. i dont have any experience with internet explorer so i cant compare it to the others.

20. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

I would move to Opera from Firefox but for one reason.... Roboform support. Opera's Wand feature just does not stack up against it. Everything else about Opera is superb.

21. Sisupoika

Sisupoika Registered Member

Opera is light, more secure, and extremely fast.
    It shouldn't affect any other applications, never heard of.
    I have been using it for ages but am now back on Firefox because of the extensions thing, which I love.
    There's plenty of them around and you can really customize your browser the way you want... Opera is better for many things but can't compare on this and whatever Opera offers out of the box is also available in FF thanks, again, to the extensions. For now I would keep FF and wait for the 3.0

22. ASM

ASM Registered Member

So Microsoft take the blame... it is same when someone PC was infected by virus... not always the Av take the blame... its Microsoft. :rolleyes:

23. AKAJohnDoe

We're getting a bit off-topic here, but yes. The only purpose of an operating system is to manage resources and allocated them/deallocate them to/from running processes as it manages the start up/shut down of those processes. If in doing so, the OS allows one process to mangle another processes resources it has failed in it's function.

As for IE vs Opera vs Firefox. All I have to say is:
    • IE7 would be an adequate browser if this were 2001 or 2002; however, the last time I looked at a calendar it was 2007, almost 2008
    • Opera is an adequate browser, but simply does not have the depth of add-ons that Firefox has
    • Firefox, with the AddBlockPlus add-on and the FlashBlock add-on (and, now and again, the NoScript add-on) is a superb browser. Add a few more add-ons for personal customization and it is even better

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Opera newbie here. Have been using Firefox untill now. I now prefer Opera much better. I never used many FF extensions anyway, so what Opera can provide you out of the box or in the form of widgets, was plenty for me. Opera is faster and nicer for me. And the speed dial feature is so nice!

I never installed IE7. I have IE6 with Avant add-on. It is much more unstable compared to both Opera and FF. But you need activeX for certain sites.

25. AKAJohnDoe

That is the one feature of Opera that I really liked. I did find that there is a SpeedDial add-on for Firefox that is customizable. Installed it. I currently have 35 thumbnails (5 rows x 7 columns). It has almost replaced bookmarks for me in my usage. I do keep folders in my bookmarks, though, so I can open a group of bookmarks all at once via the open all in tabs option. Picture here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.