Opera 9.5 vs Firefox 3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

You can try Ctrl +B then you can right click your bookmark and open an new tab from the bookmarks pane.

Ad/content filtering can be done through urlfilter.ini

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. waters

waters Registered Member

Tried Opera a few times in the past and after a few days went back to firefox.Updated to Firefox 3 and no like so again tried Opera and really like this one.Opera will now stay

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

When i started the thread i wanted a comparison of features...not oppinion. I blame you aigle for starting it :D.

We can only compare features both browsers have (eg library).

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's been a few years now, but as I remember the layout was typically youth oriented. The Community page etc. has nothing to do with the browser, but if that's all you want, you could stay with IE. :)

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

A Google search found this convoluted method. Ick. Still, might work.

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

It works, but it also opens up the sidebar which I then have to close. I'm not a big fan of sidebars.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Thanks, AKAJohnDoe, for your efforts. Much appreciated. :). I'll give it a try this coming weekend. Again, thanks, dude.

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have tried Opera a few times and would like to like it BUT FF3 with NoScript, Adblock plus, and CSlite works for me and is just something I'm used to.
    The killer for me is that Opera doesn't work with Roboform and this is something I use every few minutes. People have suggested alternatives but they don't come close - So Opera is out of tune for me.

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I've tried both and the differences in speed/memory usage are not significant on my pc. So it comes down to the ability to customize and tailor the browser to your needs and here FF has no competition. Opera might come with a few popular extensions builtin, but with FF there are hundreds of extensions which can do amazing things. I spend a large part of my time on the computer working with a browser (browsing, writing email, reading rss) so it is the most important application and I am a lot more productive with FF. I also like the warm fuzzy feeling of opensource and as a developer myself, am happy to support those who work so hard for free to give us this amazing product.

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

When I install and use Firefox 1.5.0.12, I'm shocked about the speed! :eek:
    With each and every update of software we settle for lower performance on the same hardware.

For both Internet Explorer and Firefox, I use a password generator from Onepassword.com. If Opera offered the same functionality, compatible with the plugins for IE and FF, I would use Opera on a daily basis.

I wish that Opera opens email messages in a separate window, though.
    And their toolbars arrangements are too clunky.

Also, with every update of FF, we have compatibility issues with what FF is praised for: their add-ons.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Look for the red close button on the active tab.

12. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Its not the active tab I have a problem with, its the inactive tabs that seem to run together to me, especially if very many are open.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

As I've said in a different post, Mozilla has nothing to do with the compatibility of add-ons. That is the sole responsibility of the add-on creators, THEY are the ones that are either too lazy to make sure their creations are compatible in a timely manner or don't have enough time to do so, NOT Mozilla. Mozilla simply checks add-ons for security issues and whatever other practices they require, and lists them on their website.

If Mozilla can be faulted for anything add-on related, it's not removing the add-ons that are not compatible with the current browser, especially the ones that haven't seen an update since 2006. I also strongly disagree with what seems to be a new trend in putting up incomplete or otherwise useless free versions of add-ons and themes, and charging for the "full" versions. That is not an acceptable practice with most open source communities and shouldn't be tolerated by Mozilla. Nobody asked these people to make their extensions and themes, damned if they should have the nerve to charge for them. I noticed a few were fully functional and free....until Firefox 3 was released.

14. L815

L815 Guest

Personally I favor Opera. I agree FF does things a bit better with some website rendering, and the ONLY plugin I use is adblock Plus.

Opera has everything I need, it's adblock is very fast and efficient. If you decide to make your own lists it's a bit more advanced, but it's easy once you learn it. Or you can use Fanboys adblock List.

Opera using QT for its GUI makes it feel fast and responsive. FF for me has always seemed sluggish.

Firefox 3 has improved so much since 2, and it's an amazing browser. I use it in conjunction with Opera, but I do favor Opera just a bit more :)

15. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If any add-on runs fine and is certified for any older release of FF, why do we have to wait for the add-on developer with any new release of FF?
    Did the plugin interface change that much securitywise?

This kind of mandated version numbering compatibility is not seen often in the software world. Plugins that run fine on IE5/IE6 will also run on IE7, period.

16. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

That's 'cause IE has not really changed all that much since, oh, say 1997.

17. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

As far as addin development goes, its a good thing if the api's stay consistent and are backwards compatible. The vast majority of FF extensions have nothing to do with security yet need to be constantly updated with each minor beta and alpha. Either the internal api keeps changing or the version number is being checked (which you can override) - both of these happen to some extent, and both are bad.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am not trying to be argumentive but I have never had problems with pages opening in opera. If anyone has a URL to one of the pages that Opera doesn't open correctly I would really appreciate it. I would like to check it out.

bigc

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

They are both great.

I've used Opera ever since it was free, but lately I couldn't resist using Firefox for some of its add-ons: NoScript for security, Online bookmarks (I always surf virtual with DeepFreeze, online bookmarks are very convenient as I can use it in frozen state), and 'StumbleUpon' which finds new websites according to your interests (indeed the most fascinating add-on IMO). In terms of speed, I couldn't tell the difference.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Exactly. Again, blame add-on developers, not Mozilla. Should Mozilla change the browser each time so much that some add-ons do quit? Maybe not, but still, the length of time an add-on is not compatible comes down to the developer of the add-on.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree here, neither have I although I must admit some MS sites like Hotmail do run slow on Opera but thats due to MS's buggy code rather than Opera's fault. Opera implements strict HTML coding check and some loosely written sites do give Opera problems occasionally.

22. HURST

HURST Registered Member

A year ago, hotmail would't work on opera. I don't know if it does now.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It works.

24. L815

L815 Guest

I just like Opera so very much :thumb: :thumb:

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I posted this in the Opera 9.5 thread but since there is a discussion of add ons for FF and Opera i figured it would be ok here too. But has anyone used Customize Google for Opera? And will it work in Opera 9.5?

Customize Google for Opera-

http://www.smir.de/cg/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.