Opera 15

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

There is a bookmarks extension available. I'm pretty sure Unite's gone! I have discovered that the speed dial can have folders. And there's 'Stash'. Chrome doesn't do too well on my notebook & I am used to using the portable Maxthon on it (running from the C-Drive).

So this is a bit like a Chrome substitute for me. It is blisteringly fast. It would be nice to be able to add search engines (Start Page/DDG), a bookmarking toolbar would work well possibly & I would like an optional sidebar. I would also like the option back to double click tabs off.

I suppose though, Opera ASA have changed their paradigm somewhat though & are going for simple, clean & fast.

The browser has a nice overall feel to it as well, something that not all WebKit based browsers always have IMO. Maybe it is a feature of Blink.

2. Daveski17

I believe that the #12 series will be supported for a while longer. They do have plans to phase it out within months though, I think.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Unite has been gone a long time, so no worries there. About bookmarks, I guess I'm old-school and like having them listed in a bookmarks bar. But, to be fair, Stash seems like a decent alternative to it. Certainly better than Speed Dial for a large amount of them.

4. Daveski17

Oh ho .... first crash of Opera 15. I was using the back button drop-down to find a previous page & it crashed. Seems fine now though.

5. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Thats what I meant,From beta to present release of opera 15 they were implementing little by little configurations from version 12.15.the click to play was an example.

The block content is what missing for me now, it acts as an add blocker never really needs extensions.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I will probably stick with v11 or v12 for a longtime. I´m not a real fan of the Webkit engine, I think both Google Chrome and Maxthon suck. :gack:

7. Daveski17

It is a much heavier engine than Presto. Which makes me wonder if Opera ASA actually will add much back to Opera 15 or just develop extensions for it. Opera 15 is incredibly fast on my notebook, but as WebKit is rather large anyway, maybe they will stay with it more or less as it is.

8. Rasheed187

Well, to be honest, I´m still on an old PC (7 years old) and Opera with Presto is the only option that I have.

Firefox, IE and Webkit browsers are a complete joke on older PC´s. :gack:

If Opera can offer the exact same features on Webkit/Chromium, I will probably upgrade to it on my new Win 8 PC, which I´m planning to buy.

But I still hate apps which feel "heavy". :)

9. Daveski17

I don't know what AV you are using, but it might be a good idea to try a lighter one. I did this on my underpowered notebook & it changed everything for me. Firefox runs well on it but Opera 15 seems lightning fast. Chrome doesn't do well on it though, neither does IE. I doubt that Opera will ever have as many features as it used to have, but they will probably develop a lot of extensions to try & make up for the loss of functionality.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks, Opera has confirmed at least support for now by releasing 12.16:

http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1216/

11. Daveski17

12. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

The Opera installer already has the ability to create a portable installation.

There is no need to go to a 3rd party for that.

13. Daveski17

Maybe, maybe not. I've heard that there were some problems with the Opera ASA portable that the PortableApps version didn't suffer from. I've used PortableApps versions of apps (including Opera) for quite a while & they are very good. Plus I prefer the way that they can be upgraded.

There's nothing wrong with having choices. I'm waiting for PA to do an Opera 15 version.

14. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

What issue?

I'm running a number of Opera portable installs that were made with Opera's own installer. x64 and x86. on both my system drive and portable flash drive.

zero issues so far.

15. Daveski17

I'm not sure, not being an anorak, but there was some problem with it that the PortableApps guys solved. I think it was something to do with leaving something in the registry after removing the USB drive. You'd be better off asking John T. Haller at PortableApps.

I'm not making this stuff up.

16. Rasheed187

I don´t even use a realtime scanner. My complaint is more about browser startup time. Opera with Presto is the fastest to start up, the fastest to render pages and it uses the least amount of RAM. Trust me, on old PC´s, Chrome, IE, FF, Maxthon and so on are complete jokes. :)

17. Daveski17

Well, Presto was always a very light engine. WebKit on the other hand, isn't.

18. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Ok, I finally gave Opera 15 a run. I should mention that I'm using Opera 12 to post on Wilders. First impression is that it is really dumbed down compared to the previous versions of Opera. Gone are the detailed preferences, the built in Opera Turbo proxy, easy bookmarks and everything else I like about Opera. In fact, it's a completely different browser. I just hate software developers sometimes. Why couldn't they have just called it something else and continued to develop the "classic" version of Opera. I can see the brutal business logic of this: They are trying to make the PC version like the smartphone/tablet version so users of one version aren't put off by the other but a PC is not a smartphone and it should have a browser suitable to it.

On the positive side, it is fast and doesn't look that bad. I will see how it works with Youtube, Facebook and other sites that I view as entertainment. I will continue to use Opera 12 for more serious stuff.

19. Daveski17

Turbo is still there & now rather enigmatically called 'Off Road'.

I actually like it better than the old Opera.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

me too

but is there a way to have the boomarks back?

can't understand why this re-design

21. Daveski17

There's Bookmarks Manager.

22. Daveski17

O 15 seems to have had an update: 15.0.1147.141. The original install for me was 15.0.1147.130.

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I installed the bookmark manager addon. It does the job but not as well. I still like the old Opera better. I like having more control. No font control either. With some of my high resolution laptops, the default fonts are way too small for my eyes. Once good thing about Opera is that you can do separate installations with different versions running at the same time. Right now, I'm running 9 and 11 and I can have 15 going at the same time.

I thought the "Off the road" meant offline browsing. Good, that means that the proxy service that comes with Opera will continue. Nice to have built in IP masking.

24. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

To read the full Opera Desktop post, visit the link below:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/07/10/ctrl-z-of-ctrl-d

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

the link doesn't work
    do u mean _https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/bookmarks-manager/

it not a great extension even the review about it are very o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.