Opera 11 is finally released !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I am serious.*puppy*

I am no Opera fanboy. See my posts on the Opera forums. :cool:

Opera has been examined and scrutinized over these years by many including Securnia and I am sure previously when Opera introduced Unite, Opera was being challenged by many as well.

So, Opera is a pretty secure browser, not perfect though.:p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

About the Unite feature in Opera when it was first introduced, many users didn't like it. Back then, Unite couldn't even be turned off. It can be turned off now.:rolleyes:

Yet Opera should be applauded for her courage to try this different stance with the Unite feature hoping to make the Opera browser an powerful social sharing experience rather than just being a browser. Unfortunately, it was way ahead of its time and lacking a strong users' base, this novel idea will find success difficult. :-*

Sound familiar ? Yes, the new RockMelt browser is doing something similar. Wish it will have more success ! ;)

It is a matter of time when Opera will abandon Unite and but for now, it doesn't bother me at all as I already have it turned off.:p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

There is a section on Opera website devoted to security.:thumb:

SECURITY@OPERA *puppy*

Welcome to the new home page of the Opera Security Group.

This is where we are going to announce security updates, links to advisories, and occasional articles with information about security topics related to Opera.

You can find out more about Opera's policies for security vulnerabilities at this page. We prefer that security vulnerabilities, like all bugs, are reported via our bug-tracking system, although we do also accept reports via the e-mail address security (at) opera dot com (PGP key can be found in this Opera Labs article).

Guys, Opera's serious about its browser security !:D

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Actually, whether you are or aren't is blatantly obvious to anyone who follows these threads. Feel free to do so if you want, but there's not really much point in you protesting one way or the other, to be honest.

One, Secunia isn't a hacking or security pen-testing outfit, they're a comp sec organization dedicated to tracking vulnerabilities. Other than them, who are these "many" you talk about, and how "many" are they compared to the people who actively try to exploit IE (and, to a lesser extent, Firefox) on a daily basis, with many of them doing so for illegal and vast commercial gain? Who are these nameless, faceless people whom we've never heard about but are supposed to have unwavering faith in their credibility and skill regarding their opinions about Opera's security?

Two, you haven't answered my question. Which part of "not getting hacked ≠ secure" do you not understand, so we can explain it to you again, slowly this time?

"You" are "sure"? "Many"? Gee, given how you seem to believe so strongly in it, I'm certain that it must be fact and am feeling quite reassured. :rolleyes:

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Stop duelling and please test some links in this page.. http://www.cash.ch/community/

On the left under 'Borse' click on the links 'mehr >>'
    I just get a blank page even when masking as FF or IE. Javascript required.

On Ubuntu.

Thanks.

(Works in Firefox)

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Is there anyway to adjust what comes up in the right-click context menu?

When I right-click on a link, the top-most suggestion is to open the link. Why? If I wanted to open the link, I could do it with a left click and be done.

I want to know if there's any hack to reduce the options we see on right clicking on a link? I'm pretty sure I don't need "open the link" and "open in a new window". I'd like "open in a new background tab" to be the first choice.

In Firefox, we can edit the userchrome.css to make some changes in the options seen on right-click.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

FWIW, mehr opens with Chrome 10 Dev to "http://www.cash.ch/community/forum/aktien/schweiz/" on a box running WinXP. Opera 11 throws up a blank page.

If anyone understands html, http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

9. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Two ways:
    1. Edit standard_menu.ini (section "Hotclick Popup Menu", I think)
    2. Preferences - Advanced - Toolbars and duplicate default menu, rename it, select it and ok. Close Opera, find Menu_1.ini in your profile folder and edit everything you want (delete, change order, add new commands, etc)

Advantage of second way is that after upgrade it won't be reverted to defaults.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thank You! :thumb: Thank You! :thumb:

This seems even easier and more empowering than Fx.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

No problem. I just forgot to add that if you choose the second way you can delete all non-modified sections, much easier for editing later, and maybe it's faster for Opera to read it.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera has always been easy to customize for its use.:thumb:

Expect an update to Opera 11 soon for the mouse gesture fix.;)

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

how did you fix it?o_O o_O

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i did not have this issue at all. so it seems its not on every system

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't have the problem on my Computer with Opera 11 either

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The much awaited Opera 11.01 snapshot is released. *puppy*

In addition to mouse gesture fixes and various other things, we have also looked at the top crashers in Opera 11, and several of them have been fixed in this snapshot.:cool:

Although this is a minor/bugfix release, there are more Core fixes in this build than you might expect. This is due to our development model at Opera, where we often receive batches of fixes from the Core team that have been tested, and are ready for public consumption. Since the batch of fixes contains important bug fixes, we receive other fixes as well as a "bonus". We also get to test these fixes in public.:thumb:

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Was wondering when they will gonna re-relase their rushed v11 with bugfixes, there you have it.

18. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

does it give us a way to update extensions manually? or at all really lol

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

They'll never 'fix' Opera! ;) Having said that, I have yet to live to see release of SRWare Iron without some annoying bug!

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

New Opera 11.01 snapshot build 1164 is available for testers.:D

Fixes mainly on mail improvements, crash logging and widget detection on Mac, and faster DNS resolution on Linux/FreeBSD. :thumb:

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

21. korben

korben Registered Member

Notification Area Icons

Opera = hide icon and notifications

still visible

a glitch?

22. firzen771

does anyone know if thers a way to change the order of the extension icons next to the search bar?

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

New 11.01 snapshot build 1169 with several crash fixes is avaialble. *puppy*

Its main focus has been improving on browser stability so if you were hitting a crash with previous builds, do give this a try.:ninja:

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

24. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Another 11.01 snapshot build 1175 with even more crash fixes is available *puppy*

Another 11.01 snapshot with even more crash fixes. This build will hopefully fix the most annoying crashes from the last snapshot, for example logging in to vkontakte.ru

Crashes ? I don't even experienced a single crash with the last snapshot. Anyway, I'll take this one with me too. :p

25. firzen771

so when are these snapshots actually going to turn into final updates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.