Opera 10 in beta.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by the Tester, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

This is the first time auto update has had any activity in the 10 Alpha version.
    It updated today to Opera Beta build 1551.
    So it appears that Opera 10 has progressed to the beta stage.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/06/03/

3. sded

sded Registered Member

Just downloaded it and imported 9.64 Bookmarks; looks great so far.

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I've been testing this new bulid since today morning, works great so far.
    Also i like the new skin ^^

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm using it since the first alpha and it works well :)

6. progress

progress Guest

The new Chrome-skin is really nice :thumb:

7. osip

osip Registered Member

The best browser available...

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

After months of using Chrome, Opera's new UI just seems... I don't know, awfully in your face. It's odd how I never noticed it before when I was using older Opera versions, but I guess Chrome just sort of made me forget the UI is even there at all.

Tab previews is nice eyecandy, but IE and Minefield 3.6 are still superior in this regard by showing you thumbnails of all opened tabs, which is useful for finding the tab you want from 15-20 others. Opera's tab previews, on the other hand, get all squished together and become unviewable if you have too many tabs open. They look nice, but at this point I'm not sure what they're useful for.

Opera Turbo is awesome, 'nuff said. It's also Opera's saving grace in speed since it's ranking right at the bottom in every performance benchmark along with IE8. But real-world performance is snappy, and Opera Turbo gives a significant edge in my experience (3-5 seconds) over other browsers in page loading time. The only downside is that graphics look absolutely terrible with Turbo.

Speed Dial is now customizable, excellent. None of the crashes I had in 9.64 could be replicated in this version. All in all, not a bad update, but I'm not sure it'll beat Firefox 3.5 coming out a month or two from now.

9. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

That´s true. Opera will never be a popular browser with this kind of UI.

10. progress

progress Guest

I didn't like the old UI but the new one is great :) As Eice said: Opera is one of the fastest browser in every test but on my laptop Firefox 3.0.10 is faster :(

What I like most: Opera 10 includes "automatic updates" :thumb:

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Any screenshots would be great, thanks...:D

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There's nothing wrong with Opera's UI. I, actually, like it more since the last alpha version, than previous versions.

The only thing I dislike are the thumbnail previews. They could be more like Windows Vista, as in you scroll your mouse over one and it would show it, but we need to pull it down, which will take the space.

Its a simple and well organized UI. It allows more than Chrome out of the box. I use it ever since I remember.
    I never had any major complaints, unless sometimes new alphas and betas do not come already out in my native language, but that's normal. ;)

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Here you are :D

Attached Files:

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have missed spellcheck ever since i switched from firefox to opera as my main browser. i hope the automatic upgrades work properly on vista now.
    if you upgrade from a limited user account the uac prompt gains or used to try to install for the admin account and not current account so the upgrade option of the installer wasnt avaliable. since ive got image i can test it and restore if need be. it has been reported in the forum with the early 10 alpha 's but dont know if its fixed.

I have tryed some of the alpha's and im impressed with it.
    its faster and works better on websites that 9.64 even at alpha stage.
    Im gonna try the beta when ive got some freetime.
    im not sure about the new skin but then again i can always use the classic version 9 skin if i want to.

overall a great update to an already decent browser.

15. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I'm trying it out now,

Webpages seem to load faster but the responsiveness seems slower than 9.64 for me like opening and closing tabs seems slower and some other things is anyone else experiencing this or am I alone?

Though I like the inline spellchecker. :D

If you hover your mouse over a tab you'll get a preview of the window... it's been that way for a while now, or are you talking about something else?
    The pulling it down is new, which I'm not sure I like too much because like you said it takes up space, I actually turned it off,
    but I suppose others might use it.

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I made confusion... I meant the pulling it down thing, when I mentioned the thumbnails. I don't like how it works. It kills space. If they want to add something like that, then they should take the same feature, but rather than how it works, replace the "..." dots with text like "Press here to see all the pages you have open.", and then the same would appear, as it does now, but that "window" should disappear when pressing other text "Close this window". I guess it would work better than it does. Or, when clicking "Press here to see all the pages you have open.", that box appear in front of Opera main window, rather than it.

I wasn't aware it is possible to disable it. I didn't even bother, though.

17. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Opera alpha was very very unstable.can i get portable form of 10 beta?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's strange, Opera 10 Alpha was stable for me.
    All that I can find for Opera 10 portable is the Alpha version.

19. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Opera seems to be vast improvement over 9.64
    --->faster cold boot time.
    --->spell checker
    --->improved support for certain websites.auto-update(i wonder how long they managed to keep it out.)
    Just need to get the stability right, i am testing 10 beta now.

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The more I use Opera 10, the more I find myself hating the default theme. The color scheme is a monstrosity, especially on the tab bar and inactive tabs, and there's an annoying line of pixels that show up if you try to hide the menu bar to conserve screen space. On Ubuntu the menus still look like a 16-bit Win95 program, and the rest of the Opera looks even worse against Jaunty's New Wave theme. Seriously, after trumpeting all about hiring Jon Hicks to design the new theme, this is what they come up with?

21. raakii

raakii Registered Member

yes the default theme is poor.If u dont like the default theme, u can change it any other theme,it very easy process..

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Unfortunately throughout the years I've never been able to find a good theme for Opera; the fan-made ones are either too cartoonish, gaudy, ugly, or a combination of all three.

Do you have some nice ones to recommend?

23. progress

progress Guest

Do you mean Opera 10 Alpha? This default theme is really ugly, the default theme in Opera 10 Beta is nice for my taste :)

24. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Does anyone have a feeling as to when the v10 release will be arriving? If it's soon enough, I won't bother installing the Beta. However if we are in for a long wait I'll install the beta now. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.