Opera 10.50 Final is released - The fastest browser on Earth

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Don't think this has been posted yet. Opera 10.50 'wins' hands down in Google's Java Script test suite. Check it out...

http://blog.chromium.org/2010/03/does-your-browser-behave.html

http://sputnik.googlelabs.com/

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's not that I don't believe you but differing platforms can vary. I'm not going to benchmark test, suffice to say, all three are fast enough for my needs. Opera 10.50 is a vast improvement on 10.10 though. I often had problems in You Tube with Opera. I have been using Opera since #9 series & it sometimes wouldn't load the thumbnails in You Tube properly. Although it would always play You Tube videos the 'Stop' button would take a long time to turn from red to green (although I could manually do this). I always suspected I needed a little more speed (probably to compensate for my heavy AV suite) & Opera 10.50 works perfectly in You Tube. So it has to be faster!

3. korben

korben Registered Member

man...seems faster but can't get used to the new history access type :(
    Is there a way to make it work like it was in 10.10?

appreciate it

4. Daveski17

I'm not sure what you mean. I usually just click the panels/side-bar & access history from there. It seems the same to me.

5. korben

korben Registered Member

Daveski17, the panels are now at the bottom, is there a way to get them back to top?
    and the new-tab animation is too flashy for my taste - can it be disabled?

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Just to bring a note of sanity back to the Opera community whose adulation knows no bounds.

And in this case I am an Opera lover, not however a user. I do not rely on tests per se to tell me I am running the "best browser", I use my eyes.

Unfortunately on my computer, the Opera 10.5 version is not particularly fast on loading pages, javascript etc. It is however superb at boot up times compared for example to Firefox.

I do not like Firefox, it is an overloaded browser, clunky, and not very pretty to the eye, but with some tweaks it leaves Opera standing on page loading. (Judgement by eye and stopwatch). SrIron/Chrome is as fast almost as Firefox on my machine. (I dislike chrome/SRIron).

So to all those who are converts of the media hype/statistics machine, I say take the time to find out. Make your own judgement!

One thing is for sure, if my machine is anything to go by, the statistics put out by the new tests and their masters are pretty meaningless.

If what is being said about Opera were true (for my machine) I would change tomorrow

Terry

7. Daveski17

They're at the top as well, right next to the big O button if you hide the menu bar or underneath File if you aren't . I'm not so sure about disabling tab-animation.

8. Daveski17

LOL! :D I think the Opera community is beyond help....& I'm one of them. o_O

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

If Opera 10.5 is behaving slower in your machine, check for updated video drivers. Opera 10.5 uses CPUs to max advantage, I get fantastic benchmarks on my i7 than on my AMD Phenom so that could be an issue as well.

10. linuxforall

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

There's no need to go all out to prove that Opera 10.50 is the fastest browser on earth as claimed.:blink:

Opera has claimed the speed crown and if no other browsers challenged that claim in a court, then you know it is proven as claimed.:cool:

Having said that, anyone who is interested to test out Opera 10.50 can just give it a try and if it does not work better or feel better than what you are using now, then just stay with your current browser.:ninja:

You can present and show all the speed facts and tests and it really doesn't matter to the individual user who will base his browser choice on his user's experiences.:D

12. linuxforall

Thats fine, if they don't like it, they should move on and not spread FUD. Obviously speed and feel as well as look are matter of subjective perceptions and expectations, different strokes for different folks. Opera has proven what it had to prove and for us Opera users, thats the best news ever, for others feel free to try but comparison is just about futile. Immature retorts and innuendos about how it looks, how slow it is on their machine vis a vis their own favorite browser is just fanning the fire.

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

To disable tab animation: type opera:config in the address bar. In that Quick Find box type animation and uncheck "Enable UI Animations". That's it.

Btw what do you mean by panels? Do you mean toolbars, because panels are on the sidebar which can be placed on the left, right, floating, turned off or "toogle at edge of window", so no bottom or top.
    To change toolbar position: right click on that toolbar, than Appearance and change "Placement".

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I've been using Opera 10.5 for about 2 weeks now (initially I used the beta). I don't dislike it, but I find IronPortable better all around, and maybe faster during my use. Firefox is still my main browser because it performs more or less the same as any of the others, but I've come to rely on some of the plugins. (Yes, startup time can be a little slow at times). I have IronPortable on a separate partition and my plan was to use it whenever C: drive was in use because of a defrag or backup, but lately I've found myself launching it more and more frequently. I'm also testing K-Meleon 1.6 alpha, which seems like another perfectly fine browser.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There is no sanity when speed test claims start being thrown around. The fanboys come out, the haters come out and people start doing their own tests, inevitably resulting in different behavior on different machines. This is why these tests are all but useless, and these headline claims of "fastest on earth" should be ignored. In order to make claims like this stick, the same performance should be experienced by all, which of course isn't ever going to happen.

You can't win in these types of threads. If you knock the claims, you're either spreading FUD or you're a hater. If you praise the claims and talk about having nothing but a positive experience, the ones who are frustrated with their experience or just don't like the browser/software, label you a fanboy.

16. linuxforall

Just like no one shoe fits all, no one browser fits all, having said that, the so called industry standards benchmarks being the yardstick, thats the bragging rights, one's own personal experience may vary.

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

For Opera to put its claim of being "The Fastest Browser on Earth" on its website, it must able to substantiate this claim. Anyone including all other browsers can challenge Opera in this claim in a court of law.:p

No one has challenge Opera (yet) and Opera as the "Fastest Browser on Earth" remains credible and an established fact.:cool:

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, that makes my point on my earlier post :cautious:

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, thanks for confirming that Opera is the undisputed Fastest Browser on Earth. :thumb: :D

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Riiigght.

21. korben

korben Registered Member

Pliskin, very helpful, KUDOS mate!

still.. cannot get it up:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/xolgeb.png
    The sorta play button I mean. I choose TOP and it still resides at the bottom

So far I find it slightly faster but hate the new looks...prolly case of getting accustomed to novum, that's it

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.51 RC2 for Windows Build 3313 is released.

Changelog:

1. Fixed a problem with Chinese text being rotated for some users.
    2. A few small stability fixes have been added. :cool:

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Opera listening on port 1900 should be quick fix

24. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Ok, I get it now. To change the position of buttons you need to open Appearance dialog and use drag&drop.
    If you hate the new looks than you need "old" standard skin. Extract standard_skin.zip from this build (Windows Classic installer), rename it to something like goodold.zip and put it in your latest Opera installation "C:\Program Files\Opera105\skin", and of course apply it from Appearance dialog. You can extract standard_skin.zip with 7-Zip or Universal Extractor, or ...

25. korben

korben Registered Member

And it again is what I needed - thank you on the way!
    Opera rocks, FF sucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.