OpenVPN and Eset firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

When I connect with OpenVPN to my VPN server the traffic is not routed through OpenVPN. If I disable Eset Firewall and connect to my VPN server I get a popup from Eset that a new network is detected and if I want to allow sharing. After that everything works fine and the traffic goes through the VPN, if I enable the firewall again after I'm connected everything is fine too. But when I want to connect I have to disable Eset firewall or it doesn't route the traffic through the VPN. Even if I check every option under Allowed services and Vista/Windows 7 services it still won't work.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello BoerenkoolMetWorst,

Have you set your ESET firewall to Learning mode and then accessed your VPN? Doing this should create the needed rules and then you can set your firewall to Automatic mode with exceptions.

Thanks,
    Richard

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks, I already created the rules because I'm in interactive mode, but I think the problem is already solved.

In "Information displayed in the rules" editor I changed "Rules to display" from "User and predefined rules" to "All rules (including system)." Strangely enough after that it suddenly worked and still works and even when I change it back it still works, maybe some weird bug?

I do have one other question though, I turned Log blocked connections on to help identify the problem and left it on for quite a while, now the firewall log file is more than 30 Megabytes, I turned logging off, deleted the logs through the Eset GUI, but the log file has not become smaller, also after a reboot. Is this normal? And doesn't it affect performance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.